Planning a new brackish tank . . .

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luckyshot

Registered Member
Jan 21, 2003
Cleveland, TN
Visit site
I'm converting my 55 gallon tank into a brackish tank. I've bought a floating hydrometer, and a bag of instant ocean. I'm planning on the substrate being a mixture of silicate sand and the small gravel I originally had in the tank with a small amount of live sand placed on top. probably going to add live rock and plants as well. I basically got into aquariums three years ago when I saw a display of oddball and eel fish at Walmart and I had gotten away from that kind of fish, but they've always been my favorite. Since most of these fish are really brackish I'm going to try to do it right this time. I'm considering a freshwater moray, a couple of rope fish, and a dragon fish (violet goby) with possibly a fw lionfish or banjo catfish as well. I know I'll need to add them slowly. Will these fish do alright together? I was planning on having a salt level of 1.005 and a PH of about 7.8. Does the setup sound O.K.? I'ma little worried that there might be too many fish at the bottom of the tank though the rope fish and moray will explore the range of the tank at times. I really know nothing about the banjo cat or fw lionfish. I've read what your site has on the lionfish (toadfish), but couldn't find anything on the banjo at all. I've kept ropefish, dragon fish, and a moray before and have read everything I could find on the web about all three. I think all of these fish will at least be safe from each other and at least the three I'm familiar with will eat similar foods. Any help would be appreciated!

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I think that you may have a bit too many bottom dwellers for that size tank. The moray will get at least two feet, expect about a foot a piece out of the Ropes and Dragon. In my opinion it would not be a very exciting tank since all the excitement will be on the bottom. You can add some Archers to add some excitement to the upper levels, maybe even some mollies and such. I would say stick with two of the three bottom dwellers you wanted. Rather be safe than sorry! When you said live rock you didn't mean sw live rock did you? SW live rock can only live in sw since the organisms that make the rock live can only live in saltwater. Hope this helps and never be afraid to ask questions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store