150G setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MrPufferfish

AC Members
Feb 2, 2005
Hi,

Just seen the tank which i want to buy , which is a basic 150G tank in cabinet, no lighting, filter etc,
This tank will mainly house a porcupine pufferfish which i know are very messy eaters and a few small bottom dwellers.

My main quesions are :

What type of filteration to you advise ie. Internal / external / Sump ?

How much live rock should i use ?

Do i really need a UV ?

Should i use any special lighting system

Expense in no problem, just want the best possible home for it !! :) :) :) :)

I know everything about these babies but its the setup which baffles me !
So many options !! arrr

SteveD

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Visit site
Not that I am an expert but most fish don't need any special light. If the fish looks good to you you should be in good shape. Plan on about 1 lbs per gallon of live rock or combination of live and base rock. You should invest in a good protein skimmer for filtration, one that works in a sump will look better. Have you thought about subtrate yet?

stephenray75

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
Texas
Visit site
IMO go with a refugium. I say this because the messy eater will make high nitrates. The macro will reduce this while a wetdry or canister will breed nitrates even more. Plus you can have a nice big protein skimmer to help also. Lighting i would go with what ever. Maybe pcs to bring out any color of the bottom fish. Otherwise i used 2 50/50 NO bulbs. UV i wouldnt worry about. substrate is up to you. BB means you can easily clean left overs out otherwise you need a DS. LR is up to you. I would at least have 70lbs. You dont want to much since all you have is a puffer and it needs room to swim.

stephenray75

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
Texas
Visit site
IMO go with a refugium. I say this because the messy eater will make high nitrates. The macro will reduce this while a wetdry or canister will breed nitrates even more. Plus you can have a nice big protein skimmer to help also. Lighting i would go with what ever. Maybe pcs to bring out any color of the bottom fish. Otherwise i used 2 50/50 NO bulbs. UV i wouldnt worry about. substrate is up to you. BB means you can easily clean left overs out otherwise you need a DS. LR is up to you. I would at least have 70lbs. You dont want to much since all you have is a puffer and it needs room to swim.

My uncle has a 250 that is FO and he has great success with the refugium and big protein skimmer

MrPufferfish

AC Members
Feb 2, 2005
Cheers guys !

Refugium seems to be the best way.
I better start reseaching !

Sorry FireBallky !, I dont think i will have room in my house after
this tank ! :thud:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store