how to rid my PIRAHNA tank of algee?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
you can keep the light down a little lower they dont really like much light anyways. otherwise get the water tested and get back to us. theres many ways to help from low cost water changes to expensive uv lights.

Vyper

AC Members
Dec 26, 2004
Manchester, UK
I must say although I've never actually suffered from algar myself I'm a big fan of UV sterilizers, I know they work for algae too and the water is so clear now I use one, dont get me worng my water was always clear anyway and I did plenty of water changes etc but I dont know now its super clear if thats possible.

Also if theres any direct sunlight hitting the tank then thats a problem and you should consider blocking the direct light somehow. And algae also needs nutrients as well as light, so maybe you feed too much or theres a lot of fish wate or something, either way your algae has to be feeding off something.

It depends though on what kind of algae it is, if its green floating algae you could get some chemicals which clump the algae together so your filter gets rid of it. If its algae on your glass then a magnetic glass scraper is pretty good I found, if its hair algae, then grab a clean toothbrush and start twirling, can you give us a clue on what type it is ???

Last edited:

jonathan03

AC Members
Feb 12, 2005
Most piranha tanks have slow growing plants like java moss. They use the CO2 and other nutrients that the algae would.

You can also try some snails. Not the big apple snails, but the small "common snails" that are often found in planted tanks at the pet store.

A razor blade is the best tool for cleaning the glass. Its much cheaper than the scrubbing pads and will work better. Just watch your fingers ;-). Be sure to feed them before you put your hand in. And if you are sure not to corner them, you will be fine. Piranha will go crazy if you tap on the glass or corner them if you haven't found out yet.

So get some java moss and ask the pet store to put in some of the common snails in the tank. They will quickly multiply. Assuming you have full grown fish, they won't bother with the little snails. They are smaller than a crumb to them.

ecv3

piranha guy
Feb 9, 2005
califorina
wow thanks for all the info, well the its the algee that is on the glass.as well as i guess itsa called hair algee, that looks like its on the bog wood that i have in there for them, Is that stuff toxic to them?

ecv3

piranha guy
Feb 9, 2005
califorina
test the water?? like the p.h.etc, if thats what your needing in helping me conqure this stuff....the p.h is at 6.5 temp at 80f , the no2is at .3mg/l and the nh3+4 is at omg

ecv3

piranha guy
Feb 9, 2005
califorina
what i can and will do, is take a few picx of my tank tand the algee and post them in my gallery....HEY THANKS AGAIN

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Is this tank still cycling? Did I read correctly that you have ammonia and nitrite?

As for algae on the galss, well that just happends. Buy a magnetic scrapper (any fish store will have one) and clean the glass prior to doing a water change. As for the hair algae, well at this point you will have to remove it manually.

How often do you do water changes, what size tank is it, how many fish and how long has it been setup?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store