New 265 Gallon Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZBT3091

ZBT3091
Feb 21, 2005
LI, New York
Hi all, I just purchased a 265 gallon tank (84x24x30). In my 30 gallon tank--My upgradee, i have an Oscar, a Polypterus, 2 Blood Parrots, 2 Severums, and Two Red Bellied Pacu. I know the size the tankbuster will achieve, which is why i have bought this new 265 gallon tank. I would like to know what other fish i can put in this tank. I am going to keep this tank in the long run so I would like to know what other fish i can put in for GOOD. I was thinking maybe (this is going to be a long list so please tell me: which, how many and what others i can put in)

Arowana, Siamese Tiger Fish, Wolf fish, Motoro Stingray(s), Clown/Ghost Knifefish, Jack Dempsey, Fire/peacock eel, Giant Pufferfish, Tropical Gar, Striped Snakehead, Spotted Gar, Zebra Shovelnose, Florida Gar, Freshwater Barracuda. Now, before you right all of those life-impending death threats about how i am overstocking my tank, I am WELL aware that i cannot keep ALL of these fish. This is just a simple list of fish that i would like...not ALL of them! Please tell me which are compatible with the tank, which will fit, and which would be safe for my tank all-around. I would also like to turn the 30 gallon tank into an Angelfish, Ram Cichlid, or Discus breeding tank. Please tell me everything I am doing wrong!!! Thanks!

--Zach T.--

TONO

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
I think your at the stocking limits right now with the fish you already have. Pacu's get over two feet each.

ZBT3091

ZBT3091
Feb 21, 2005
LI, New York
Do you think they will outgrow the tank size-wise? or bio-load wise? Because i am really curious about what will outgrow the tank size-wise and what is incompatible with my other fish. I have excellent filtrations in my tank with 2 Powerheads, a powerhead bio-wheel, and a built-in sump so filtration is not a concern.

ChileRelleno

500+ jumps-n-counting,SKYDIVE!
Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
I agree with Tono, the two Red Pacus when mature will need every gallon just for themselves, a fully grown Pacu ideally needs a minimum 150-180gals.
It doesn't need to be deep just room to swim and at two feet plus (2'+) they need alot of swimming room, also they are a very massive fish bulk wise and hence put out alot of waste. I'd bet that one fullgrown Pacu equals four Oscars for bio-waste.
By the time you add some rocks, branches, other structure and perhaps some huge sturdy plastic plants, I bet with outtage your down to 200-225 actual gals.

ChileRelleno

Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
If I was gonna stock that tank.... Hmmmmm.....
A mated pair of wild-type Oscars, a Silver Arowana, a couple of large Snow King Plecs, a couple of Jaguar Catfish, A school of 10-15 Red Hook Silver Dollars.
Do it as a Amazon Bio-tope tank, it would be awesome!

Some of you may realize from some of my previous post, this is my dream tank, a very large Amazon bio-tope. :D

Debra Mark

Wench Boots!
Sep 29, 2004
Canada
Real Name
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.....
I think you will find the Pacu's will outgrow the tank size-wise.... :)

Seattle206

lets get blown...
Oct 27, 2004
Seattle, WA
That 265 is a good size for all those fishes. The pacus would be happy just living in it, because 95% of pacu owners keep them in tanks smaller than 180s.

Waits for somebody to say a single pacu will need a min. of 300gallons just for itself...

ChileRelleno

Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
Waits for somebody to say a single pacu will need a min. of 300gallons just for itself...
AC's own species profiles list a 180gal as the minimum for a Red Pacu.
But when full grown the Pacu will barely have room to turn around :( ...
I take a minimum recommendation to mean for that specific fish, by itself. Granted minimum recomendations vary, sometimes widely, you have to admit though that a full grown Red Pacu at 19-24+ inches would be a happier healthier fish in a 220-300 gal with a friend or two.

ChileRelleno

Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
Unsophisticated aquarists create tanks devoid of a theme – mixing fishes from every corner of the world, then step back to see what the result will be.
That was sarcasm... Right? :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store