getting a synodontis petricola

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abesapian

AC Members
Oct 24, 2004
Alberta Canada
I saw this catfish at the LFS and liked it right away. It's a bit expensive at $25.00(Canadian). I wanted some feedback from others who have one before I decided if I would get one.

Thanks for ony info
:)

Must4ng s4lly

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Houston
Visit site
I have four types of syndontis in my rapidly becoming catfish only tank. I paid $6 & $4 for some, $10 for others and as much as $25 for a pair of white with black spot ones... I am really tired and can't think of their name for now. A giraff syndontis can go for $18.... Sounds like the price may be about right. Can you compare it to another LFS???

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
That seems a tad pricey, but not outrageously so. Syno prices seem to vary quite a bit depending on whether someone breeds them locally, how 'exotic' the LFS's stock usually is, etc.

One caution: a single petricola will not be a very happy or amusing petricola. These fish do best in groups of three or more. When kept that way, they are very social and playful and will freely swim about. Kept by themselves, you're much more likely to have a recluse that you rarely see. That's not a guarantee, but much more likely when you keep them as singles.

You might want to look into purchasing some online... even with delivery, you might be able to get several for less $$ than you expect.

HTH,

Jim

abesapian

AC Members
Oct 24, 2004
Alberta Canada
I phoned the pet shop and they confirmed the price was $20. I called a different store and their price was the same. In my tank the other cats I have are an upside down, a pictus(still pretty small) and a flag fin. Other tank mates would be a rainbow shark, 4 silver tip tetras and 6 neon tetras(fully grown). My tank is a 55gal with plants(some live some fake), caves and drift wood. I don't mind getting two petricola's or just one and another type of synodontis for him to swim with what's a better idea? Also at this point I'm getting a little worried about overstocking should I be?

Thanks
:)

Must4ng s4lly

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Houston
Visit site
Some of these guys get pretty big 6 - 8 inches. I would get two, but maybe another tank?? I am thinking as they get bigger your tetras may disappear. I had the syndontis in with cardinals and once the syndondtis got big enough, the cardinals were dinner....

Barbie

Fishaholic
The commonly available Synodontis petricola are actually the "dwarf" variety. They top out at 4 inches. The standard sized ones are only very rarely spawned in captivity, and wild caughts would have a higher price tag, IMO. The petricola will need a group of at least 3 to be happy, and do even better in larger groups. They tolerate a wide range of pH for a rift lake catfish, and are really only a danger to small fry. I would definitely not purchase just one, if it was me. They are a cruiser, not a hider. Without other petricola to keep them feeling secure, he won't display his normal behavior.

Barbie

maxim240sx

Registered Member
Jan 16, 2005
I'm about to order a group of 7 from a dealer and he sells them for $12 each. 1" long right now

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store