Can I get rid of the substrate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RanchuRick

Go Flames Go
Feb 19, 2005
I only have plastic 'plants' and three Corydoras (among other non-bottom-feeders). There is about 1.5 inch of pea-sized gravel. Currently my weekly gravel vacuum picks up a lot of debris. I'm thinking if I take out all the gravel it would be easier for the filter to pick up the debris. Would it harm the Corydoras if I do this?

Thanks.

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
What kind of filtration are you using? How much and what are you feeding? Pea gravel may be a little large for gravel use, and you may want a little less. The corys would then be better able to keep up with the cleaning. Many people have tanks without gravel - it is a matter of taste and maintenance choice. I use a thin layer of gravel in my show tanks, but none in my breeder tanks (unless the particular species does better with some substrate). However, corys like to poke around in the gravel and root stuff out. Hope this info helps.

knashash

AC Members
Oct 28, 2004
Yeah I would say if it wasnt for the Corys you could get rid of the gravel.....the corys do like to root around in something though....the finer the better (sand is best for them). But if you do get rid of the gravel what will anchor your plastic plants?

pjfish

Fins are Fun!
Feb 10, 2005
America the Beautiful
knashash said:
Yeah I would say if it wasnt for the Corys you could get rid of the gravel.....the corys do like to root around in something though....the finer the better (sand is best for them). But if you do get rid of the gravel what will anchor your plastic plants?
I just barely have enough gravel to cover the bottom. I use suction cups to hold my plastic plants down. I get the suction cups used for anchoring airline tubing because they have a hole in the top. Take the plastic cup off the bottom of the plastic plant and push the stem into the suction cup. This works for me. I haven't figured out a good solution for hiding my airline tubing or airstones except to mound some gravel around them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store