GPH for Rift Lake 65G

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Glenstorm

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
Orono, ME
Visit site
Hey all,

What do people recomend for GPH(Gallons per Hour) for a 65G Rift Lake tank? Starting one up and trying figure how much filtering I'll need.

I seem to recall seeing a recommendation for approx 230 GPH for a 75G before. Right now I have a Eheim Liberty 200 and figure I'll double it up with another Liberty 100. Or should I use something else like a PowerHead with a sponge filter on the intake?

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure what an ideal GPH for your tank would be, but I do know that you can never have enough filtration, and 230 GPH for a 75G seems really skimpy. I would guess you would want around 500 gallons per hour of powerfilters, and up. There really isn't a set standard, since you can almost never have too much filtration. However, I really don't think a liberty 200 and 100 could keep the tank clean, depending on the bioload you plan on having. If I were you, I'd throw another 400 GPH, or so, of powerfilters into the mix. 300 GPH just wouldn't cut it.

gregga

I'm Mighty Megala..(wife: whatever)
Jan 8, 2000
Long Island
Hi.....

I agree with Goby that you need more filtration, however exactly how much really depends on how high your fish load will be...Obviously, the more fish, the more filtration needed.....

NickH

AC Members
Oct 12, 1998
Morris Township, NJ
Most people recommend turning over at least 5 times the tank's capacity per hour. For cichlid tanks, especially African cichlid tanks whichi tend to be overstocked, 8-10 times is a better goal to reach.

IMO, another Liberty filter is not gonna cut it for your tank. You would be much better off adding a low-end canister, like the Eheim Ecco. Or, it will be cheaper to go with a bigger HOB, like a Marineland Emporer 400.

NickH

AC Members
Oct 12, 1998
Morris Township, NJ
Nobody said this hobby was cheap!

If you are dead set on getting a fish tank, don't scimp on your first setup like so many of us did. Get the biggest tank you can afford and fit in your living area! You will regret it later on if you stick with the hobby. The cost difference between a 65g tank and a 45g tank is so minimal, that you will regret it later on when you realize your tank is "too small."

Believe me, no tank is big enough!

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
2 emp 400s or 2 ac 300s should do the trick for ya! got for the 65 youll be glad you did. after a few months youll want a bigger tank too!! heck i have a 450gal and i still want a bigger one! we all have the sickness it just needs to be fed lol..

Glenstorm

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
Orono, ME
Visit site
thanks folks

This isn't my first tank. This new setup is supposed to cure the itch to go bigger for a while though.

Currently I have a Whisper 3 on my 20G (I know that's overkill, but I bought the setup used and that's what I got) So I was thinking that I could put the liberty on the 20G and supplement the Whisper with something on the 65G.

The thing is I don't know what Whisper3's are rated at for GPH. Tertra's web site doesn't say and all the box says is that the filter is rated for 30-60G tanks. That seems like it is a big range. Does anyone out there know how many gallons the Whisper3 turns over per hour?

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. . .
This place is like the anti-wife. . . no more money on fishies... Go Bigger!!! I don't know if you all are good for me ;)

Dan

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store