Keeping fish out of filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ambrosiamonkey

Doing the Community Thing
Dec 9, 2004
Berkeley, California
I have a SeaClear System II with an overflow wet-dry filter system built in to the back of the tank. After having this experience, I have since had to rescue my little fishes two more times from the back part of the tank. Only the tetras and the killifish are small enough to fit through the grid over the overflow, but clearly I need to put something smaller still over it to keep the little guys where they belong.

I'm really diligent now about counting every single tetra morning and night, and making sure I see both killifish also, and I'm getting pretty handy with the little brine shrimp net, but I'd rather just eliminate the problem altogether. I'll be going away on a week-long vacation soon, and I'd hate to have one of them stuck back there for that long.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
When I had to deal with fry I trimmed a piece of hose (nylon stockings) and put it over the filter intake. It was pretty discreet and effective. They really do come in handy.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Plastic window screen is cheap. Home Depot or Lowes may even have some scrap laying around. All you need is a small section.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store