Breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Just for fun - I was wondering which species of fish you are breeding or attempting to breed, or which species you have bred in the past.

The only fish I have successfully bred in the past were platies. Actually, they just did their own thing with little help from me. This was many years ago, and I ended up supplying an LFS with many generations of uniquely colored fry. I kind of wish I had kept the line going - I have yet to see any others with similar coloration.

Currently, my peacock gudgeons are always spawning in my 29 gal. community. No fry so far, but at some point I will set up a spawning tank for a pair and attempt to get a hatch.

My main goal right now is to get my zebra otos to breed. I have two that are of breeding size, and 8 more that have some growing to do. Also, I should be getting 10 more sometime next week. I should have a nice sized breeding group. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all 20 live, but even with a 50% survival rate I will have a nice group of them. It will certainly be a challenge, but I intend to give it my best shot. I'm keeping an eye out for a used 20-30 gallon tank that will be set up for this purpose.

I have other fish that I'd like to try breeding as well, but don't want to take on too many projects at once.

How about you?

tamccain

AC Members
Feb 7, 2005
I was breeding angelfish for about a year. I had some beautiful fry come out of my pair and I was supplying some LFS with angels as I had the ability to do. I then moved and had to end the operation. I still have 1 angel from my breeding program. I have raised him from and egg and he is the most beautiful angel.

pl*co

Feeds low on the food chain
Jul 18, 2004
Michigan
The only fish that have ever bred in my tanks are Green Swordtails. I never intentionally tried to breed fish. What started the whole process was the acquisition of two pregnant females from the LFS. Following that, the process just kept right on going until I had a continuous supply of fry. What I believe contributed to the continuation of the process was replacing the plastic plants with real plants and raising the temp and overall, just making the environment more like the fishes native environment. With the real plants, came the emphasis on biological filtration.

TrickyD119

Newb
Jan 25, 2005
Auburn, AL
I've never tried to breed anything, nor had any fry, but I've got a beautiful pair of German Blue Rams right now that seem to have formed a bond and am strongly considering setting up a 10g for the purpose of breeding. Unfortunately I will certainly have to invest in RO to even think about getting them to hatch and I'm not positive if I want to shell out $$ for that right now.

Samala

mmm RNA..
Lots of fish do the fishy love dance in my tanks.. must be my neurotic water changing tendencies. ;) Lets see all the usuals and then some Apistogramma sp.(eunotus, macmasteri), Dicrossus filamentosa, Angels, several pencilfish, cherry barbs, and I'm working on the fourth generation of Kribensis and my second of Pelvicachromis subo's. Also trying to coax my Banggai cardinals to breed, and had a pair of Ocellaris Clowns that raised a family a few years ago. But my pride and joy are my little mutant zebrafish babies at the lab. :D
>Sarah

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
"Mutant zebrafish babies?" are you talking about the transgenic "glofish"?

Which species of pencilfish did you breed, and how difficult was it? Pencilfish are on my list of future breeding attempts.

loucas6290

Lurking Since 2005
Jan 2, 2005
right now i am currently breeding rasbora heteromorpha(harlequin rasboras), they are just introduced into the breeding tank, and this morning i have seen alot of flipping upside down, but no eggs yet hopefully soon!

Dragon Queen

AC Members
Feb 17, 2005
All different colors of mollies, and guppies. Do LFS buy fish from someone without some sort of license and, or contract?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store