Can I fit 3 bala sharks in a 10g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JamesBenjamin

Hopeless Romantic
Nov 7, 2002
NoVA
www.thejoyofliving.net
I have a 55 gal downstairs, but I'm just about done cycling (fishless) my 10 gal in my room. I want to get some bala sharks for the downstairs tank, but 'quarentine' them first, will they be ok in a 10 g for 3 weeks? I'm talking the baby ones at the pet store, that are 2-3 inches long.

Thanks!

cacti

AC Members
May 31, 2001
Ripon, California, USA
You can keep the balas in a small tank for a limited time. My Dad and I had one nearing a foot, body 3in without fins, a magnificent fish. It jumped out one day, it seems you need to put extra weight on the cover for the big fish. The tank was covered. The temperament, size and color remind me a little of tinfoils. What a great site it would be to have them with tinfoils. :p

TheMightyQueenPixie

Best Invention EVER!
Apr 16, 2002
Barrie, ON. Canada
www.baycitybettas.com
10-12 is on the small end...It isn't so much their size, but the fact that they are VERY active schoolers...You need ALOT of room for those fish and a 55 isn't going to cut it....They don't grow that fast, but do you really want to have to invest 1000s in a tank for three fish? A 55 is a nice size to keep a pair of Demseys or Firemouths...Much more colourful and not nearly as demanding in the space department.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store