Hawaiian Orange Fireworm

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tonytwist

AC Members
Feb 10, 2005
Hawaiian Orange Fireworm. Should I get rid of it?!

I was checking my amphipod population after dark when I noticed a 2" long worm crawl out of a piece of live rock. I did a search on the net and found out it was a Hawaiian Orange Fireworm. Do I need to get rid of it? If so, how? Will it harm my coral or fish? Any advice would be appreicated.

:huh:

Last edited:

scottdwh

Da Bears
Oct 10, 2002
Visit site
Looks like it just an ordinary bristle worm. They come in on your live rock and usually you will have quite a few. Bristle worms are not harmless but I like to remove them when they get around 6 inches b/c I did hear horror stories about them wrapping around fish and killing them.

tonytwist

AC Members
Feb 10, 2005
How would I go about capturing it? It retreated back into the hole it came from as soon as I shone the flashlight on it. I read somewhere that if I break it in half in an attempt to capture it I could end up with 2 worms. Any ideas?

scottdwh

Da Bears
Oct 10, 2002
Visit site
A good way to catch it is to put some pieces of shrimp in some pantyhoseand place it by the rock that he is in overnight. When it crawls on the hose, its legs get stuck to it and then you just take out the pantyhose. I couldnt tell you though if you cut it in half it will form 2, maybe someone can help me out on that one.

tonytwist

AC Members
Feb 10, 2005
Do I need to worry about it now or when it gets bigger?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store