Breeding Clown Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
Hi everyone, I am about to buy a mated pair of Ocelaris clown fish and was just wondering how hard they are to breed. I will also have a lawn mower blennie, a blue tang and a fox face in the tank.

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated

kcmo lawman

Just a SimpleMan
Dec 10, 2004
Kansas City, Mo
**** coral banded shrimp!

Due to the recent events of my coral banded shrimp (little ******!!!) :mad2 my tank is now a little more empty than it was before. It seems my coral banded decided on going on a killing spree. It killed my fire shrimp, my emerald crab, and my cleaner shrimp. It is now back at the lfs where I got it. Now I am down to 2 perc. clowns and 1 yellow tailed damsel, 3 hermit crabs, 2 starfish, and 2 snails. With there only being 1 other fish besides my percs do you think that if they mate the eggs would survive?

Last edited:

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
You would have to make special arrangements to keep the eggs. They will be tiny and could get sucked into the filter.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
The hatchlings will be planktonic for a few weeks, so they won't survive in a tank with filters/skimmer/powerheads. Plus, you will need to have rotifers on hand to feed them.

If you're serious about rearing them, Frank Hoff wrote an excellent book, called "Conditioning. spawning and rearing of fish, with emphasis on marine clownfish."

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
cheerz guys, I will give it a try and see what happens. So when/if I see the eggs, do I just scoop them up and put them in a smaller tank??

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
The eggs will be stuck to the substrate, probably a rock. Trying to remove them from the rock will kill them. There are two options:
1. Give them something like a flowerpot that you can remove from the tank.
2. Wait for hatching night (mine took about 8 days), and use a flashlight to attract the larvae and scoop them into a jar.
Whatever you do, use water from the main tank for the brooding tank. The larvae are very sensitive to changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store