Aqua-clear Sadness

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alicialav

AC Members
Jan 12, 2005
Hiya folks
well it seems I'm not going to be able to keep aqua-clear mini running on my 8 gal, after another incident of water spilling out the back... the first time it caused water damage, but thankfully we caught it in time this second time. Unfortunately, my bfriend is now convinced that AC must go. There will be no convincing him otherwise!!!

I guess when you customize the filter media, it can be tricky getting the flow level to behave..?? I'm bewildered as to why this happened a second time though-- all was well with the tank before I went to bed, and then the problem was noticed around 9 a.m., the filter slowly draining the tank...
:sad
So any recs for different filters? I guess I'll have to say goodbye to customizable media, eh? :(

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
:confused: Wow, doesn't the water flow out around the inlet tube (and back into the tank) before overflowing the box? If the water flowed out of the backside of the box, it's because it wasn't level on the tank. Use the flipper on the bottom of the filterbox to hold the bottom of the filter away from the tank which will tilt the top of the filter toward the tank. If it doesn't have a flipper (odd shaped plastic thingy) then use a piece of cardboard or something as a spacer. Then plug the filter back in and block the outflow to make sure it is tilted enough. The water should overflow back into the tank.
HTH

alicialav

AC Members
Jan 12, 2005
Usually the water does flow back into the tank-- I've been running this set-up for over a month. ;) But when the flow is adjusted higher, intake overwhelms output like a son-of-a-gun, regardless of filter's position. Like I said, my bfriend is putting his foot down about keeping this filter, so all I've left to do is research other options at this point. :(

I've seen people posting about sponge filters, what is the scoop on those? ((Lest I be forced to GOOGLE something!!))
thanks for the input

gburgess

AC Members
Feb 7, 2005
I also had this problem a couple of times with my ACs over the last 30 years. I decided that the problem was a very dirty filter. I just cleaned the impellor, cleaned out the media parts, cleaned everything about it, and I no longer had that problem. :D

squeek

AC Members
Feb 19, 2005
Do you clean the sponge?
If it has been running for over a month and the water spills out over the back, you have some SERIOUSLY clogged sponges...... get a bucket of your aquarium water and wash the sponges in that....

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
And make sure any filter media is well below the lip of the resevoir. The only time I had overflow was when I added some carbon in a pouch and sat the pouch really near the lip.

alicialav

AC Members
Jan 12, 2005
Ok, I will do a thorough inspection/cleaning today. Right now I'm using sponge and filter floss only-- gave these a rinse in a pail of standing water last night. Yes, there was quite a bit of filth. Unfortunately I noticed too late it seemed much colder than aquarium water, hope those cultures will be ok....
Thanks for the helpfulness!

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
I think thats the same brand of filter that I have on one of my tanks and I am not a fan!!! I really like the penguin filter that I have though. I just had an overflow a couple of days ago...The carbon bag drifted forward and the water couldn't seep through it fast enough , and it started spilling over. I didn't notice right away, so I had a huge puddle in the middle of my dining room floor :mad2

squeek

AC Members
Feb 19, 2005
Ive used the aquaclear filters for years without a hitch....what i have seen people doing is not putting the basket and sponge down all the way....thats when the trouble begins and the person gets crabby because they think they have wasted their money..
IMHO...i think that they are fantastic if you treat them right and clean them reguarly...of course they are going to get clogged up every now and agian..but thats the filters job...to filter crud out of the water!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store