Ammonia Levels During Fishy Cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jess7

My Pets Play So Nice Don't They?!!
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
photobucket.com
Ok, I know (now) that you shouldn't do a fishy cycle, but I kinda wasn't left with a choice. Read my thread "my new betta and cycling"
Tonight the Ammonia level was at .50 in the 10 gallon tank with just the one betta and I changed about 2 gallons of the water. Now it's down to .25. Is this ok or should you always try to get it down to 0?
I also have a product called ammoLock? Should I use this right away?
Thanks
Jess

gsk177

AC Members
Feb 12, 2003
Sevierville, TN
Visit site
Until your tank is COMPLETELY cycled, I would advise doing 50% water changes every day until it is completed. Test your water after a water change and repeat a 50% water change if ANY ammonia or NitrItes appear. Any detectable levels of NH3 and NO2 are bad news, therefore test your tank after completion of a water change. If any NH3 or No2 remain, do another and retest.

Jess7

Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
photobucket.com
I'm going away for 2 days this weekend. Fri - Sun. Think it'd be ok to change the water on Friday and then on Sunday? Maybe use Ammolock on Friday before I leave?

Last edited:

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
They may be okay. Is there anyone you could entrust with just taking out 4 gallons or so if you left a 5 gallon bucket of treated water to refill it with?

Jess7

Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
photobucket.com
There is actually only one betta fish in the ten gallon tank right now, so hopefully (correct me if I'm wrong) the ammonia won't spike up too high. I really don't have anyone for that one day.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Heh, well you nailed it. Hopefully. You can hedge your bets though. Do two, back to back 50% water changes. Just drain and fill, then drain and fill again before you leave. Then, when you get home, simply check the levels and carry on like normal.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
I'm not familiar with ammolock and really not sure how well preemotive dosing works. If the label says it can overdosed safely, then you can try.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store