New set up FOWLR help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kbmdale

tinman
Mar 1, 2005
fayetteville. tn
alittle background. I set my 10 g up friday with 1" bed of CC and about 13 pounds of base rock, mixed the water, put it in and turned on the skilter 250 I am going to run. Last night I went my LFS and picked up 2 pounds of live sand from one of his tanks, 3 pounds of live rock, and 2 damsels. I aclamated the fish to the water and put them in, put in the sand, then positioned the LR right below the outflow of the filter. I have 2 standard flourescent 10g light fixtures. No powerhead yet. Today I checked for amonia and it was only at .5. I am supposing this is normal. I have had many a FW tank, but this is my first marine adventure.

Ok the question is:

After getting the rock in and everything settling down I noticed a few small feathre dusters on the top rock(right in the best light) will the cycle kill these? and 2 snails also hitched a ride will they survive?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Depends. If you're willing to do water changes to prevent the spikes from getting too high (and needlessly killing the damsels), the hitch hikers should be fine.

kbmdale

tinman
Mar 1, 2005
fayetteville. tn
hi oriongirl,

I thought you weren't suppose to change the water during the cycle...Oh the confussion. I don't want to kill the damsels, the LFS told me they would be fine. I did put the sand over the top of the CC. I have been reading up on SW tanks for about a year, funny thing is until today I never knew CC could be bad. If I only new friday what I know today I would have went with pure sand. lol.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Ammonia spikes can be lethal to fish. Damsels tend to be hardier and some will survive them, but that's not an excuse to use them for th epurpose--especially when most people end up tearing their system apart later to remove them.

Water changes dilute the ammonia levels. The bacteria don't care, and continue to increase their population size even with the lower levels. The lower levels are generally considered safer--though still not good.

kbmdale

tinman
Mar 1, 2005
fayetteville. tn
readings as of this morning 9:00am

temp: 80
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: .5
Nitrite: 1.0
Nitrate: 30
Alk: 300
Salinity: 30
Gravity: 1.022

Is this OK. I am still waiting to see the ammonia go up right? this is day 3

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It's not lethal levels. I'd strive to keep it the nitrogen within those ranges. You could raise the salinity up to about 1.025. Stores tend to keep theirs lower, but closer to natural is better for the livestock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store