<b>HELP!</B> mY ghost shrimp is dieying!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Froggie2009

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
IT CAN BARLY LIFT IT'S SELF FROM THE GROUND. and it's missing both of it's antanas and when it swims it goes upside down!! she isnt eating i took her out and put her in a tank by herself because i guess my frogs were trying to eat it. or bite her. when i took her out she didnt even flop like she usaully does!! how do i make her better should i put aquarium salt in there?

Froggie2009

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
Ghost shrimp are salt water??????? Thats what this thing said so if i put aquarium salt in there it will be ok?

Maj0rFiSh

L33t 5p34k m0f0!!11one
Jan 14, 2005
South Coast of UK
You obviously didnt do any research on your fish/shrimp otherwise youd know wether it was, a saltwater or fresh water shrimp :eek:

Origin The range is from Alaska to El Estero de Punta Banda, Baja California
Maximum Size: The male shrimp is 3 inches long and the female is 2 inches long.
Care: They do well in warmer temperatures, though they can survive in waters that are as cold as the upper 50 degree Fahrenheit range. It has been observed that in very warm temperatures, Ghost Shrimp become much more active, and they have been reported to become so aggressive as to attack fish in warm temperatures. In cooler temperatures, they are quite peaceful and it is the Ghost Shrimp who are in danger of fish attacks. Shrimp should have some plants to hide in, particularly if they are kept with fish that might eat them.
Feeding: In an aquarium, Ghost Shrimp will feed on soft algae in tanks and any fish food that falls to the bottoms of their aquarium. They have been known to do well on flake fish food, as well. In the wild on the other hand ghost shrimp will feed on detritus in the mud that collects on the fine hairs on its legs. The hairs of the third maxillipeds scrape the prospective food off the legs and pass it forward to the mouth. It also receives food by digesting microorganisms from the mud that goes through its digestive system.
Breeding: They are easy creatures to breed, the females carry their pink eggs on the underside of their carapace, they should be moved into a seperate tank if you wish the babies to survive, the young are too small to catch and so you must move the female while she is still carrying the baby ghost shrimp. It is essential to provide plenty of plants or other small hiding places in the aquarium for the young Ghost Shrimp. After the babies have hatched, the parent Ghost Shrimp should be removed. In order to successfully raise the young, they should be fed on baby brine shrimp, in addition to liquifeed (fry) food or minute algae.
Sexing: When of adult size the males will be approximately one whole inch bigger than the females, the females may also be carrying pink eggs on their undersides.
Comments: The ghost shrimp is pale pink to orange with the male possessing one claw that is much larger. It burrows to feed and digs its two to three foot deep burrow with the claws of the first and second legs. It uses these legs to draw the sandy mud backward and collecting it in a receptacle formed by another pair of legs. When the receptacle is full, the shrimp crawls backward, reverses itself in a special turn around chamber and then deposits its load outside. The burrows are not permanent. A number of branches and turnaround chambers are found in the burrows and they have at least two openings to the surface. The shrimp use their pleopods to produce some circulation of sea water through the burrows. The pencil-sized openings of the burrows are typically in the middle of little piles of sand or sand with small pebbles.
All the legs are specialized with some being used for walking, some for bracing the animal in its burrow and others are used for personal cleaning. Ghost shrimp are always busy because if they stop digging then they start cleaning themselves or vice versa. Ghost shrimp have few natural predators. Humans dig them with a shrimp gun and use them as fish bait.
The ghost shrimp is also surprising long lived. A 10 cm individual excluding appendages may be 10 years old and many reach an age of 15 or 16 years old.
The ghost shrimp has other organisms that live in its burrow and these include the pea crab Scleroplax granulata, scale worm, Hesperone complanata, a small clam, Csyptonya californica whose siphons open into the burrow and not the surface, and a little goby, Clevelandia ios.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
At least I didn't have to take the time to translate this post. I'd say your shrimp is on a one way ride to the great cocktail sauce in the sky. It would probably be more humane to euthanize it.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
Froggie2009 said:
IT CAN BARLY LIFT IT'S SELF FROM THE GROUND. and it's missing both of it's antanas and when it swims it goes upside down!! she isnt eating i took her out and put her in a tank by herself because i guess my frogs were trying to eat it. or bite her. when i took her out she didnt even flop like she usaully does!! how do i make her better should i put aquarium salt in there?

chances are it's dead already, but if it did manage to make it to it's next molt it would probably be ok. No sense in keeping it though, ghost shrimp become prey to pretty much everything. During the molting process they're very soft and prone to fish picking on them. During this time they make an easy meal for any fish.

Kissofthegorami

Broke College Student
Feb 24, 2005
Boston,MA
I think she meant put some aquarium salt in the water as a remedy like some people do for fish. I have actually heard that it is possible to acclimatize ghost shrimp to tolerate salt water. But yea, they are fresh-brackish creatures. Ghost shrimp do not live long in general, do not like very high temperatures, and i had some in with a dwarf african frog once and he ate them all so maybe not the best tank mates.

Kissofthegorami

Broke College Student
Feb 24, 2005
Boston,MA
Try cherry red shrimps by themselves with java moss and some plants. They are expensive but breed easily in the home aquaria and live longer than ghost shrimp which are basically bait.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store