Monitoring a New Fishy Cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jess7

My Pets Play So Nice Don't They?!!
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
photobucket.com
Hi all, I have a new 2.5 g tank set up w/ 1 betta, and a 10g with one betta 3 dwarf frogs. The tank, I believe, has begun it's cycle. The ammonia levels have gone up to .5 tops, and then I've been changing about 25 - 50% of the water and bringing the ammonia back down to 0 - .25. The Nitrites and ph are testing normal in both tanks. Is there anything I should be aware happening in the next few weeks to know I'm on the right track?
Also, my betta in the 2.5 didn't seem to be AS active yesterday when I got home from work. The ammonia was between .25 and .50. Then I siphoned the bottom and changed about 50% of the water and then 50% again. I think he may be a little better, but still not like he was when I had the dwarf frogs in there a couple days ago. Could this be because of the ammonia?

PS - not a big fan of this vaccuum http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1109862887821

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Yes, the betta is probably acting funny because of the high ammonia. It's a major stressor to fish. I mean, have you ever gotten a major whiff of ammonia? It's actually dangerous to us to do so, so imagnie how it is for a little fishy when ammonia is in it's every breath? Ammonia is very bad, and that's why the water changes to bring it as low as possible are important.

In the next few weeks, watch for a nitrite spike. Nitrites are dangerous too, so keep changing 50% water everyday and testing and changing more if you need to. Eventually nitrates will start showing up. They too are toxic, but much less so than ammonia or nitrites. You know your tank is fully-cycled when ammonia and nitrites remain stable at zero for a few days and nitrates are present at or around 10 parts per million/milligrams per litre. I hope that helps.

Jess7

Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
photobucket.com
Thank you, so I definatly will see nitrites? And just keep changing the water until everything is down to 0.
How long into the cycle does this usually take to show up and for how long?

I hope I don't lose any fish :(

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
How long depends on too many factors to list. Cycles can go from zero days (special circumstances like a planted silent cycle to a BIO-Spira cycle) to weeks, to more than a month. You will definately eventually find nitrites. The way it works is the bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite seem to take hold first. Then, bacteria that convert nitrite into nitrate show up and start to grow. Depending mostly upon seeding and temp, the rate at which they show up is a big guess at this point.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Pretty decent chances, really. Of course, now that you've discovered the "fun" of fishy cycling, I think you'll agree that fishless sounds much better ;)

Jess7

Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
photobucket.com
I WILL NEVER DO A FISHY CYCLE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad
SO MANY water changes!!!! SO much time EVERYDAY!!!
But I want to give the little guys their best chance possible of being happy. I got them as a gift before knowing about cycling. :(

Even though they may not like it, would it be better for them to keep them in "betta bowls" for a few weeks until the cycle is done?

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Well, betta bowls aren't cycled either you know. They just end up changing the water everyday in those as well. I'd stick with what you're doing. Fishy cycling in a larger tank is ALWAYS preferable to cycling in a smaller tank.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Jess7 said:
Should I switch the 2.5g betta and put him in a bowl?

Maybe I'm stressing out about this too much :rolleyes:
Heh, fishy cycling is stressful. Keep the betta where he is and let it cycle. Taking him out now and putting him into something else uncycled will just add to his stress and make the cycle take even longer. Hang in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store