Post Your Favorite Recipes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Hey guys please keep this thread recipes and kitchen tips only we can pm comments thanks. Also Orion Girl is going to be compileing all the recipes and makeing them a book PM her for info.

Well, I've been at AC a little bit now and gotten to "know" some of you. Recently I had the favorite breakfast thread I posted on a lark and frankly, some of that stuff sounded good! So I figured, "Hey, why not a recipe thread?" Why not, eh? So, let's lay down some...

RULES:
1. No "off the package" recipes. Yeah, I really like the Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie recipe too, but I can read that any old time. I am more interested in old family recipes or stuff you made up. So, unless your last name is Nestle...

2. Only one recipe per post. This just simplifies things in case someone (hint, hint) wants to show off their layout skills and put together an AC .pdf recipe book.

3. If you can, please use measurements. I know a lot of us, myself included, just know how much of what to put into our dishes and also go by taste and smell. If you can, though, please guess. We all know to cook to our own tastes so if you use 2 cloves of garlic and I prefer five one day, I'll do it. Still, guessing the measurements will at least give us a baseline to go from.

4. Have fun! I know from reading that breakfast thread a lot of us like to eat and at least some of us like to cook, so share and share alike! Regional recipes are VERY encouraged.

Well, I think that kind of says everything I wanted it to. And, to get the ball rolling:

Harlock's Spicy Guiso
  • 5-6 pounds of cheap beef. I use rump, shoulder or chuck roasts
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 2 Tbs of Worchestershire Saunce
  • 2 cups of beef stock/consumé
  • 1 small can tomato paste
  • 1/4 Cup of Chili powder
  • 1/8 cup of Cumin
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1/4 cup of corn starch
  • 3 heaping Tbs pickled jalapeno slices
Butcher the roast(s) into 3/4 inch cubes. Trim as much fat as you can and want to. There is no need for it. In a large pot (at least 5 quarts) add the cubed beef, 1Tbs of salt and cook over med high heat. You're only trying to brown the outside of the beef, not cook it through at this point. Keep stirring the pot until all of the beef is braised steamed. You will produce quite a bit of juice during this stage. If you trimmed your beef properly, very little of it is fat, but rather more a broth so don't pour it out! Add beef stock/consumé, worchestershire sauce, tomato paste, cumin, garlic, chili powder and about 1 tsp. of black pepper and add water to cover top of meat. Turn the heat to high and bring it all to a boil. Let it boil on high, ocassionally stirring for 15 minutes. Then, cover, reduce heat to low and allow it to simmer gently for 3 hours giving it a stir every 10-15 minutes. Add water as needed to keep it at the same level as the meat. After three hours, add jalapeno slices and taste. Add more salt and pepper as desired (or anything else that sounds good to you!) Cover and let simmer another hour, stirring as before. By now your house smells like a Mexican restaurant and you're drooling profusely, so, in a small mixing bowl add the corn starch and 1/8 cup of cold water. Stir it until all corn starch is dissolved, making a slurry. Slowly add the slurry to the guiso while stirring the guiso to prevent slurry from creating lumps. At this point, some of the beef may be falling apart, and that's fine, that means it is tender and tasty! If you want the sauce thicker, use more corn starch. Serves a bunch of people but fewer Texans. Serve with sour cream, cheese and your favorite Mexican fixings wrapped in a tortilla. Delicioso! I vary the recipe nearly every time I cook it. I have used Ketchup instead of tmato paste when I have found myself short a can of the paste. I also sometimes add a splash or two of mesquite liquid smoke and tobasco. You could certainly use real jalapenos, but add them in when you add the first spices before the long simmer to cook properly. I hope you enjoy this recipe half as much as my family does. We eat it at least once a month on average and more in the winter time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Harlock's Mucho Hot Salsa

Ingredients:
  • 1 large (28 oz) can of whole tomatoes, drained
  • 3-5 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
  • 2 tsp minced cilantro
  • 2-3 serrano peppers
  • 1 Tbs salt
  • optional: 1 tsp. lime juice, if it's in season
Background: None of the comemrcially made salsas do it for me. I live in West Texas where there is a decent Mexican food place around every corner and there are several top notch Mexican food places as well. Mexican food chains would die here, and have. Just too much good food. Anyway, I really like this recipe and if you're a garlic fiend like me, you'll love it.

Whatcha Do: Now, I have a food processor. If you don't you can mix it all by hand... and I really mean use your hands. No other way really squashes the tomatoes fine enough for me. Use less garlic and peppers at first, you can add the rest later once you determine how hot and garlicy you like it. If you have a food processor, you can skip the mincing and just chuck it all in and give it a spin. After it has blended to a consistency you want (like chunky, I prefer smooth) get a tortilla chip and sample it. At this point, add more salt, lime, peppers, garlic or whatever you think it needs. This salsa seems to get universal appeal from people I know. My Indian friends love it. I have a friend that spent two years in Thailand and swears it reminds him of that time... Me, I just like salsa!

Ems

Betta lover!
Jan 4, 2005
British Columbia
Desert/Snack

I have my own cinnamon bun recipe, my family loves them and they don't last very long. Not recommended for dieters :p

Emily's Cinnamon Bun Recipe:

Dough:
1/2 cup Sugar
3 cups Warm Water
2 packets (8g) active dry yeast

2 Large Eggs
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Cooking oil
8-11 cups All-Purpose Flour

Filling:
2 cups Sugar
1 and a half tbsp. Cinnamon
1/4 cup butter

Cream Cheese Icing:
1 stick Cream Cheese room temperature
1/4 cup Butter room temperature
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Icing sugar (don't have exact measurements)

To make:
Put warm water in a large bowl, add sugar and mix together until dissolved. Add yeast on top, don't mix, just leave it for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, stir the mixture.
In the same bowl, add eggs, salt, and cooking oil. Then add enough flour until it is not sticky (depending on humidity, you may use more/less flour). Put dough onto a floured surface and kneed until smooth. Separate the dough into 4 even pieces. One-at-a-time, roll the dough into a flat rectangular/oval shape. Try to make it thin, around 1/4 inch thick.
Mix the cinnamon and sugar together into a bowl. Melt the butter and brush it over the surface of the dough. Then (generously) sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture onto the dough. Roll up the dough so you have a long roll in front of you. Then slice it into 1-2 inch pieces and place into a greased pan. Cover, and let stand in room-temperature for 1 hour.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. To make sure they are cooked, use a fork and try to separate 2 buns, if it looks like bread, it's done, if it's doughy, bake longer.
Prepare the Icing while the buns bake.
To make icing: Place cream cheese into a mixing bowl, slice into smaller pieces, mix with an electric mixer, add butter and keep mixing. Add vanilla. Continue mixing until blended together. Start adding icing sugar, add 1/2 a cup to 1 cup at a time. Mix until blended then add more icing sugar. The icing is done when it's the taste you prefer. You'll need to keep testing (mmm :) ) it until its the taste you prefer.
Spread the icing over buns as soon as they come out of the oven. Leave cooling for a few minutes and serve as you wish.
Enjoy :)

-Emily

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
This is a simple and delicious dish that is perfect for summer and family barbecues and is a nice alternative to Potato salad or salad. It tastes better than it sounds.

Pasta Salad:

1 3/4 boxes of Rotini noodles
2-3 cucumbers
2 tomatoes
3 carrots
1/2 onion
3 stalks celery
1 block of Pepperjack cheese
1 medium stick of Pepperoni
1.5 large bottles of Newman's Classic Caesar Salad dressing (not what you normally think Caesar is, this is not creamy but rather closer to Italian)

Directions:

Boil noodles and cool under cold water. Dice/chop all vegetables to something approximately bite-sized (size is dependent on preferences). Cut cheese and pepperoni into 1/3" cubes. Mix all ingredients in a large pot/container. Douse thorougly with dressing until well coated. Reserve some dressing for adding directly to plates as it tends to sink to the bottom or soak up.

(The fiance is a chef and I'm sure I can weasle out some recipes. He's got a Sachertorte, chocolate ginache cake, to die for!)

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Aha, I found it!

Sachertorte

Ingredients:

1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 large eggs
1/2 cup butter milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup apricot jam, pureed

Glaze:
1 cup heavy cream
16 ounces fine quality semisweet chocolate, chopped fine

Instructions:

Make the torte:
1. In a saucepan combine the butter, the oil, and 1 cup water and bring the mixture to a boil.
2. In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat together sugar, flour and cocoa powder for 30 seconds, add the butter mixture, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and baking soda. Beat the batter until it is combined well.
3. Pour batter into a buttered and floured 9" cake pan, 2" deep. Bake in a 350F oven for 55-60 minutes. Let cool completely.
4 Cut into two layers and spread jam in between layers. Put the torte back together and let chill for at least two hours.

Make the glaze:
In a sauce pan, bring the cream to a boil. Put chocolate into bowl and pour hot cream over it. Stir mixture until it is a smooth glaze. Pour glaze over torte and spread evenly using an offset spatula. Chill for 1 hour and serve with whipped cream, strawberry puree, strawberries, and mangos.

It is SO good.

Last edited:

Ems

Betta lover!
Jan 4, 2005
British Columbia
Chicken Curried Fried Rice

Another one of my experiments in the kitchen, I love cooking and this is yummy if you like curry.

Emily's Chicken Curried Fried Rice!

2 cups 5-minute Rice
2 cups Chicken Broth
1 tbsp butter/margarine

2 tbsp cooking oil
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
Paprika to taste
Mild curry powder.

Chicken, barbequed and sliced.

Start by putting the rice, chicken broth, and butter/margarine into a microwave-safe container. Cook for 6-8 minutes, and let sit for at least 5 minutes.

Then add the oil to a frying pan, and put it on medium heat. When the oil is hot, add some pepper (a pinch or so, depending on how spicy you want it). Then add the Paprika (optional, of course) and some curry powder, mix briefly and then add the rice. Mix in the spices with the rice. Add more curry powder and add some salt, to taste.
Make sure you don't over-do it with the curry, though. :)
Once the rice is done, serve and place the barbequed slices of chicken on top!

Enjoy!
-Emily

Petra

Mostly Harmless
Feb 16, 2005
Potato Babka Puff

2 eggs, separated
2 C hot mashed potatoes
1/3 C warm cream
1/2 C cottage cheese
1 T butter
Salt

Beat the egg yolks into the potatoes. When they're creamy, add everything else, other than the egg whites. Beat the egg whites until they are very light and then fold them into the potato mixture. Spoon the potatoes onto a buttered baking dish (cookie... pan, tray, dish.... something) and bake at 400 F for 15 minutes or until well-puffed and slightly brown.

That's the basic recipe, but I add all sorts of things to it - garlic, orange rind, coriander, dill, peppermint, vanilla, etc. Everyone in my family has their own particular way of making them - my father rips open tea bags and empties them into the potatoes.

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Black Bean Enchilada Dip

Ingredients:
1 can (16 oz.) refried black beans
2 t. chili powder
1 lime
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 can (4 oz.) green chiles, undrained
1 garlic clove, pressed
½ c. red onion, finely chopped
1 can (3 ¼ oz.) pitted ripe olives, divided
5 oz. Cheddar cheese, shredded, divided (1 ¼ c.)
1 T. fresh cilantro, snipped

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix refried beans with 1 t. chili powder and spread over bottom of a deep-dish pie pan or similar baking dish. Mix cream cheese, 1 T. lime juice, green chiles, garlic and remaining 1 t. chile powder until smooth. Chop half of the olives and add to cream cheese mixture along with onion and 1 c. of cheddar cheese. Mix well and spread over bean mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes or until hot. Slice remaining olives and sprinkle over top along with cilantro and remaining cheddar cheese. Serve with tortilla chips.

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Spinach Artichoke Dip

Ingredients:
1 8 oz. Bottle of Marinated Artichokes
2 cloves crushed garlic
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1 c. Shredded Jack Cheese
1 c. shredded Parmesan Cheese
1/2 package frozen chopped spinach

Directions:
Drain the artichokes and chop them into small chunks. Drain spinach well. Combine the artichokes, spinach, garlic, mayo, 3/4 cup of Jack cheese and 3/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Mix well. Spoon into a shallow baking dish, top with remaining cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Winter Squash Soup

Ingredients:
5 c cubed, peeled winter squash
7 large carrots, sliced
16 oz whole milk ricotta cheese
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
1 T butter
2 T chopped, fresh sage leaves or 1 T crushed dried sage
2 tsp salt

Directions:
Cook squash and carrots in water until tender. Drain and cool. Process in blender with ricotta cheese until smooth. Combine puree in saucepan with remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store