Betta bowl

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
my friend has a small betta bowl (one half gallon?) and it used to house a male betta during last summer, but when winter came it got too cold in the house for the betta to live in the unheated bowl. how do you heat a betta bowl? shoud he just buy a bigger tank that can hold a heater or is there some other type of heater, like a heating pad that can be use (in the winter the house is 62 degres F.

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I would go with a larger tank - 5g or up - that you can easily heat

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I agree, look into a small 5 gallon tank, add some live plants like Java Fern, a small sponge filter and heater and voila a perfect little betta tank (that is how mine is setup). Plus you will only need to change the water once a week or so and the betta will swim so much you will be in awe of him. At the very least I would get a 2.5 gallon tank.

SamXXXkiss

Rock on, people!!!
Mar 2, 2005
MD
it's quiet hard to heat a betta bowl. Even with an aquarium it's the same, so the best is to buy a heater. A betta doesn't need a lot of place, but it's better to have a 2 gal. tank.

SamXXXkiss

Rock on, people!!!
Mar 2, 2005
MD
TKOS what kind of betta do you have????????

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Standard Betta Splendens. He is mostly red with some white in his fin tips. I have had this guy for close to a year now and he is doing great (just damaged a fin tip but things aren't too bad). He likes it on the warm side, 78F or so. The selection of bettas around these parts isn't great.

Roland

worlds last gunslinger
Unless you can find a very low wattge heater (25w or less) then I would look at advising him to house his betta in a larger tank.

A larger tank will -

- heat with standard heaters
- keep a constant heat more easily (less chance of fluctuations)
- have more stable water parameters

While bettas will adapt to cramped living conditions (because of the labyrinth organ and their ability to at least stay alive in tiny water bodies), they are noticibly more alert and responcive in 5 - 15 gal aquariums.

hope this helps

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store