What do you do if the fish you want to get are to big to put into a q tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
When I get fish for my big tank, I want to put them in my little tank first for a few weeks before I put them in the big tank. But what do I do if the fish I get are just to big to really stay in the little tank(10g) for a few weeks? Would I just put them directly into my big tank?

amy

a.k.a. achu
Dec 1, 1999
Austin, TX
Visit site
NJ,
Wetman is recommending you use a sponge filter in the rubbermaid tub for general circulation and mechanical filtration. He's also recommending that you take some gravel from the top layer of your fully cycled big tank and put it in the tub to help out with biological filtration.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Rubbermaid as quarantine

I've used a Rubbermaid as a temporary home in the past; works great. However, in quaratine, isn't the idea to watch and examine your fish intently? I just don't see how this is possible in a solid-coloured container where viewing is only from the top. Would somebody explain what I am missing?

chaynes

AC Members
Jan 17, 2003
Zebulon, NC
Visit site
They make clear ones also, be carefull of the steralite ones as they become brittle over time and when lifting with water in them they break causing injury. Found this out the hardway recently.

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
i have a 4ft long rubbermaid 70gal container i used it to transport my 3 1/2' arowana, so i know they exist i found mine at home depot of all places..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store