Sick Gourami!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Radek

AC Members
Feb 17, 2005
Massachusetts
There's something wrong with one of my golden gouramis in my 75 g, but I don't know what it could be! His fins are slightly torn, swims very slowly around the tank, usually resting in one spot for quite a bit at a time. His body doesn't have that bold yellowness to it that the other one has, and he's gotten to be quite thin and frail. I also noticed that there is this slightly red translucent spot on his gills. Could it be a bacterial infection of some sort? What should be done to treat him and bring him back to his old active self?

Any diagnoses or tips would be greatly appreciated :(

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Is the red spot an ulceration of some kind? Could be fungus, parasites, any number of things. Might just be an infection. The shredded fins concern me. Can you give us water parameters, tankmates, etc? Any information on your set up will help.

Radek

AC Members
Feb 17, 2005
Massachusetts
pH 6.8
Ammonia 0 mg/l
Nitrite/Nitrates 0 ppm
KH 71.6 ppm
GH 143.2 ppm

It's companions are: 1 golden gourami, 2 blue gouramis, 2 moonlight gouramis, 1 flame dwarf gourami, 7 zebra danios, 7 red-eye tetras, 2 upside-down cats, 2 pictus cats, 6 ottos, 2 skunk botias. BTW, I neglected to mention that the tank is being treated for ich, so the water temp is about 81 deg. and there's salt present at 1 tsp/gal.

Kissofthegorami

Broke College Student
Feb 24, 2005
Boston,MA
Whenever my fish have gotten red spots that look internal, almost like inflamation, its bacterial. Try some melafix. You might want to use a hospital tank or bucket so u don't kill too much of the benefitial bacteria in the aquarium. My cories recovered from bacterial infections with very little of the stuff and I used it right in my aquarium. Check your water quality too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store