Fish Bowl

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kamla

The Algae Grower
Feb 8, 2005
NJ
FISH BOWL

O.K. I already know what you guy are going to say about getting a fish bowl.. But hear me out…

My niece (9 years old) wants a fish tank, but she has no place to put it in her room. So I heard her mom tell her they she can buy a fish bowl and add goldfish to it :sad
Knowing her MOM she will do it even when I advise her its not a good idea.

So my question is if she does end up with a fish bowl. Is there any way I can help to make it a better home..
I could persuade her to get a Siamese fighter (SP?) :idea2:

What could I do about the filter and heater in a fish bowl.

Please help.. also if you guys no of any articles that explain why a fish bowl is not good , With Pics after all she is 9 years old.

Thax guys….. :eek:

tel0004

Lost in Translation
Sep 7, 2004
Cincinnati, Ohio
A betta in a fish bowl would be ok, just try to get one of the biggest bowls out there. What if you got her a 5 gallon tank instead. They have some complete setups with a heater and filter for really cheep. The betta would love it in there, plus you could add some ghost shrimp, or something small for a tankmate.

kamla

The Algae Grower
Feb 8, 2005
NJ
I was ready to chip in for a 10 gal but her mom said No Tank... only a fish bowl....
do i need a filter and heater for the bowl ???? and could i add the shrimp in a bowl...

tel0004

Lost in Translation
Sep 7, 2004
Cincinnati, Ohio
There really is no effective way to filter and heat a small bowl. Just change the water every other day. I think in a small bowl you should just stick to the betta , and noting else. Just get the biggest bowl you can find.

kamla

The Algae Grower
Feb 8, 2005
NJ
the reason i was asking about a filter is because I know her MOM will not keep up with the water changes. And the little kid will not be allowed to cart water in a bucket around the house..
I feel this is goin to be a no win situation…

kamla

The Algae Grower
Feb 8, 2005
NJ
i have seen little filters with cotton and a air pump will that work to keep the Bowl clean..
so a betta would not require a heater

thax for your help BTW

beachbuum04

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
Besides the problem of water changes, goldfish aren't equipped to live without filtration. Bettas and gouramis have a labyrinth organ which allows them "gulp" air directly from the surface of the water and also from oxygen in the water. Goldfish do not have labyrinth organs so they need oxygen in the water, i.e. from a filter. I'd say this is reason enough to convince her not to get a goldfish but perhaps a betta (water changes are still absolutely necessary!!) ;)

racingjason

Big Fish Tank..Small Fish Knowledge
Feb 7, 2005
For $25 you can get those 2 gallon bow front kits. Just add gravel and fish!

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
The tank is much healthier than the bowl, you should tell the mom that the bowl will start to stink and the tank is easier to keep lol

The STINK factor might help, plus the potential spill factor of a bowl.. Rub it in thil she submits lol :)

kamla

The Algae Grower
Feb 8, 2005
NJ
Racingjason.. thax for ur reply.. but money is not a problem. i am ready to spend money to get her a10 gal tank.. but her Mom will not let her get it..
so i thought of a bowl, i could add a betta in it..
my main concern is water quality.. I know they will not keep up with PWC.
So I was thinking of get a small filter.. the ones operated with a air pump…

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store