Fishless Cycle - Want to hear others' experiences

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
I'm in the middle of fishless cycling right now. Ammonia still hasn't dropped to zero, nitrites are hovering at between 2-5, nitrates don't seem to budge from around 5...has been pretty consisent for the last few days...I'm at day 15 now. As I wait the process out, I'd like to here from others about their fishless cycling experience. These are the questions that come to mind...feel free to add any other pertinent info. :)

Have you successfully completed a fishless cycle?
How big is the tank?
How long did it take?
Did you seed the tank?
What did you use for seeding?
Did your cycle stall at any point?
When?
How did you resolve it?
Did you fully stock the tank after cycling?
Any fish losses after stocking?
How soon did you lose fish?
Reason for loss?

Thanks!
mishi8 :)

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
here's my thought and answers :)
yep, thought it would never end
How big is the tank?
30 gallon
How long did it take?
8 weeks
Did you seed the tank?
other than using the ammonia, I didn't seed it
I'm thinking you mean did I use anything from another tank.... that being said, no
it did.....
When? ?
I'd say at week 4....
How did you resolve it?
Lots of patience, I just kept checking the ammonia, didn't add any until I needed to bring it to 5ppm, then added baking soda for boost
I believe I did
1 loss, a black moor
I lost him about a week after adding him
Reason for loss?
I think he just came from a weak breeding

Last edited:

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
Is stalling during a fishless cycle common?

I'm finishing a cycle I started with fish. That cycle seemed to stall with 0 ammonia, but the nitrites just seemed to go on forever. That's where I feel like I'm at with this fishless cycle. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates all showed up pretty quickly since I had already built up some bacteria in the tank, but now the ammonia isn't getting lower than 2, nitrite hasn't climbed higher than 5 (hard to tell if it's higher or lower with the AP colour chart) and sits somewhere between 2-5, and nitrates haven't budged much above 5ish (same as with my fishy cycle). I beginning to think my nitrate test might be off...the colour goes really dark with the first bottle of reagent, but then doesn't change much with the addition from the second bottle.

What does adding baking soda do? I've already got pretty hard water (180 KH & ~200 GH)...would baking soda make any difference?

Thanks,
mishi8

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Yup, I was dying to put in fish
How big is the tank?
20 gallon
How long did it take?
6 weeks
Did you seed the tank?
Nope
N/A
Yup
When? ?
At the nitrites part
How did you resolve it?
More wating...its perfectly normal
No. I added 1/4 of the fish, over two months
A Otto
Two weeks
Reason for loss?
Was sick, very week when I got it

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD

Yes

How big is the tank?

2 each 15s, 20-long, 29.

How long did it take?

The first two took 3-4 weeks, the last two between 2 & 3 weeks.

Freshly recieved potted aquatic plants, left in pots with rock wool.

The last two had additional plants added after the ammonia dropped to undectable levels.

First two did briefly, last two did not.

How did you resolve it?

See above.

Yes.

No.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Ive done it several times. I always seeded it via old some old substrate in a nylon, old filter pad, or what have you.

Lately, I have put extra ceramic rings into a healthy tank's filter. When I need to start a new tank, I tank one or two out and put it in the new tanks filter. That instantly cycles the tank. Those ceramic rings are loaded with bacteria. One in a ten gallon works like a charm and I've "cycled" four of them like that (as well as my 125g, using four or five rings). It's basically the same as adding a pre-cycled filter to the tank. Of course, if you're going to be stocking a large tank heavily, you would wants lots of those rings. Heck, I'm thinking about starting another filter just to house the rings until I need to take them out.

Yes the majority were fully stocked (probably overstocked; they are q-tine tanks) and no losses ever.

When I cycled the 125g using this method, it was not fully stocked right after because the fish needed to be cycled through quarantine before they could be added.

Fishless is the way to go; and it's even better if you can get your heads on some bacteria!

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I've cycled quite a few tanks fishlessly. The early tanks were cycled without seeding, and took a while -- 4 weeks or more. The nitrite spike seemed to last forever... much longer than the ammonia phase. That is normal, from what I've read, although it is frustrating.

When seeding a tank, the cycle can be very brief or nonexistent, if you import enough bacteria. It all depends on how strong of an innoculation you deliver relative to the bioload.

If you have sufficient KH, above 80-100 ppm (or 3 degrees) you don't need to add baking soda. If KH drops, adding baking soda is a simple way to replenish KH. A partial water change would do the same, but adding bakings soda is probably easier. A fishlessly cycling tank can burn up KH pretty well, but as long as you're keeping track of it, it's not really a problem.

Cycling (esp. without fish) can seem to take forever. Just hang in there. Take some comfort in the fact that you're not burning any fish gills with ammonia, nor are you scooping out dead fish from the tank.

HTH,
Jim

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I confess that I only did fishless cycling during the early days of Chris playing with it. Normally I don't need to do that. I have spare filters running on the central system and can cheat and just "borrow" one to put on the new tank. Give the tank an ammonia challenge and see the next AM if there is either any ammonia or nitrite detectable, if not I am there. If there is, a handfull of days using ammonia generally finishes it off. There are finge benefits to running fewer tanks than I used to do.

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
Thanks everyone for your input and advice! It's nice to hear stories of successful cycles...and helps to remind me that I will see an end to this process eventually! :)

I just tested my water tonight (15 days into fishless) and am finally seeing ammonia & nitrites dropping (both read ~1ppm). Nitrates aren't going up though, and am surprised...thought for sure I'd see those numbers going high with dosing ammonia to 4ppm! Still suspect the test kit may be off, so I might get a replacement test to see if it reads differently. My pH had gone up a bit (to 8) and now is back down to 7.6, and I noticed that my KH is dropping a bit too (150-180 now, as opposed to a steady 180 before). I'll keep my eye on it, and will dose with baking soda if I see a dramatic drop.

Thanks again! :D
mishi

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
The nitrates do take a little longer to go up. Everything sounds good. Hang in there! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store