180 gallon community/planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nanook

Aquarium Starter
Mar 10, 2005
Missouri
Greetings!! I am looking for some advice with a 180g tank. I am wanting to have a community tank with plants. I am not wanting to go crazy with plants, but do want a nice display of plant life without utilizing CO2 and heavy lighting.

I have a couple questions:

1) Filtration: I was thinking of using two Eheim 2128 cannister filters. Does this sound like adequate filtration?

2) Substrate: Should I use plain river gravel, or go for a fluorite type substrate? Also, how deep of a substrate is recommended.

3) Lighting: I want enough light to keep my plants alive and healthy, but not too much where I have to add CO2 or fans to keep the tank cool in the summertime.

I'm sure I will have more questions later. Thanks for any replies!!

Dave :)

jclip

Addicted to Fish
Feb 21, 2005
Queensland, Australia
for my 140 gal i have 2 x 475 gal/hr canisters, and 2 x 300w heaters. It circulates about 6.5 times per hour. You may be looking for something in that range.

Im a newb, so not to sure about the gravel or lighting either really. I have some white sand mixed with some small black river pebbles, and it looks good.

hope you find some better answers.

cheers.
jc.
:)

Nanook

Aquarium Starter
Mar 10, 2005
Missouri
Thanks! I like the Eheims for their quiet and dependability. I have entertained the idea of a wet-dry, but with plants, not sure if the loss of CO2 would affect things.

I am mainly wanting to over-filter the tank and have a pair of filters as a failsafe.

Dave

corriewf

EVIL
Jan 26, 2005
richmond,va
Nanook said:
Thanks! I like the Eheims for their quiet and dependability. I have entertained the idea of a wet-dry, but with plants, not sure if the loss of CO2 would affect things.

I am mainly wanting to over-filter the tank and have a pair of filters as a failsafe.

Dave
Do I understand this right.... You cheating on your reef tank?
:eek:

Nanook

Aquarium Starter
Mar 10, 2005
Missouri
corriewf said:
Do I understand this right.... You cheating on your reef tank?
:eek:

Shhhh!! What they don't know won't hurt them. I just missed having clown loaches and Rosy Barbs too much not to start another FW tank. Our basement is going to be an aquarist haven.

Nook :D

Nanook

Aquarium Starter
Mar 10, 2005
Missouri
Also, when the aiptasia, flatworms, redbugs, acro eating flatworms, montipora eating nudibranchs, majanos, etc, show up and nuke my reef, I can always look at my FW tank and smile.

corriewf

EVIL
Jan 26, 2005
richmond,va
Nanook said:
Also, when the aiptasia, flatworms, redbugs, acro eating flatworms, montipora eating nudibranchs, majanos, etc, show up and nuke my reef, I can always look at my FW tank and smile.

Yeah, I have been pondering setting up a nice planted tank with some neon tetras.Can you beleive the magic of no nitrates to worry about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store