$$ of a 125

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

REDZPONY

Apparently Invisible....
Feb 22, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
I have a friend selling his 125g ( I need another like a hole in the head..but hey, I can look ! ) anyway, he's unsure what to ask for it seeing as how there are a few issues...info as follows:

125g ( 72" x 18" x 24"H)
river pebbles for gravel
plants
vacuum
"rock" caves
2 penguin filters
glass canopy
lights
stand

Now, here's the "issues" with it..

tank has minor leak at the top seam, leaks a teeny bit if filled all the way
stand is warped ( bowed down in center ) & a few scratches ( laminate missing on a spot as well )
one light has a bad ballast-replacing ballast didn't fix the problem he said
1 air pump, of which only 1 side works
glass canopy is chipped

He mentioned $500 for it..too much considering the money that would have to be put in it? ( I thought I'd ask ya'll..as I have no idea ! )

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
I would say that $500 is too much. If you look right now at the trading room on this forum, you'll see a much more serviceable 150g tank going for only $300.

Decorations and gravel are rarely to be figured into the cost of selling a used take, b/c odds are someone would rather decorate to their own liking. HOB filters, for the most part, are worht next to nothing when used. The biggest issue obviously is the questionable stand and the leak in the tank.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Hi, I'm not a fresh water person so please keep that in mind. I wouldn't take a bowed stand if it was given to me you are just asking for a flood . The glass bottom will have to support way too much weight. I couldn't say what it's worth but not $500 with no stand that's for sure.

REDZPONY

Apparently Invisible....
Feb 22, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
That's what I was thinking ( though the best LFS in town only supports their tanks on the corners..nothing holding the center except air ) I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news to him though.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
I too feel it is overpriced. I am budgeting for a 125 gallon right now myself. You can pick up tank that doesn't leak with glass tops that are not chipped for around $360 brand new. If you are at all handy, you can build a decent stand for ~ $100. For lights that don't work, I'd be unwiling to give anything. And, personally since I am going for a planted tank, I would pass on the Penguin power filters because I want canister filters. Having said all of that, someone may be willing to live with a leaky tank, but I doubt they'd give $500 for it. I really doubt he could do better than $250.

Nov 15, 2004
I saw a 125g with wood stand, and canopy for $600 at Pet Supplies Inc, near chicago. If only I had the money...

Seaman

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp salad etc...
May 22, 2004
Im like air im everywhere (Dallas, TX)
maxilaria said:
Hi, I'm not a fresh water person so please keep that in mind. I wouldn't take a bowed stand if it was given to me you are just asking for a flood . The glass bottom will have to support way too much weight. I couldn't say what it's worth but not $500 with no stand that's for sure.

I dont think the if the stand is bowed a little just in the middle that it would make a problem, I have my 55g on cynder blocks supporting about 8-10" of each end with the middle hanging. Glass is EXTREMELY strong, all you really need to keep an eye on is that your seams dont get stressed and leak.

if it was an acrylic tank, that'd be a whole nother story.

FishKeeper-16

1977 Mustang Cobra
Sep 28, 2004
Wheelersburg Ohio, USA
I would like to build a stand out of red oak in my woodworking class but it is probably too expensive and at my local lowes, A board of red oak runs around 33$$$.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store