What to feed managuense fry??????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WilliamG

AC Members
Feb 7, 2005
Springdale MD
I have about 500 managuense fry that started free swimming about 3 days ago.Yolk sacs are gone.What should I feed the fry?I used to use TetraMins Baby E fry food,but I just found out it was discontinued in 2001.(Ive been out of the hobby for a while) I can't get the fry to eat.I have tried Cyclop-Eze frozen food and ground up Tetra food sticks and the don't like either.they spit it right out after mouthing it.i don't want to go through the hassle of newly hatched brine shrimp.Any suggestions??????????

tlaug

AC Members
Feb 14, 2005
You may try egg yolk. It works for a number of fry that I have had. boil an egg remove yolk add water to make a paste then drop a little in the tank with the fry.

tlaug

AC Members
Feb 14, 2005
Use small amounts of the egg yoke and do water changes every other day. and everything is fine. I have done it lots of times. if the parents or in the same tank you have to be careful because they go into like a feeding frenzy

MoJo

AC Members
Sep 2, 1998
Dallas, PA
www.aquamojo.com
JEHMCO makes a product called Cyclopese that I would highly reccomend. It comes in powder, flake or frozen form. Excellent choice for new fry.

WilliamG

AC Members
Feb 7, 2005
Springdale MD
MoJo said:
JEHMCO makes a product called Cyclopese that I would highly reccomend. It comes in powder, flake or frozen form. Excellent choice for new fry.
I tried the frozen Cyclop-Eeze and they didn't like it.Today I tried the frozen baby brine shrimp and they do the same thing,mouth it and spit it out.I guess i will try the egg yolk next.I have had at least 10 breeding pairs of managuenese and this batch of fry are the pickiest I've ever had.I used to raise all my cichlid fry on the Tetra Min Baby E. All my fry used to love it.Too bad it's discontinued.

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
I used to be able to buy live baby brine shrimp from a local LFS (he was raising some fry of his own). There was NOTHING that encouraged growth better than BBS. It's a pain, but if your fry are really picky you might consider raising your own.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store