What goes with a rainbow shark

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abesapian

AC Members
Oct 24, 2004
Alberta Canada
When I first got my tank I bought 2 rainbow sharks from the LPS simply because they were on sale that week. I quickly found out how aggresive they were to each other (no thanks to the guy that sold me 2 at once and gave me no warning of their temperment). So several months ago I gave one to my dad but that is all he has in his tank, I will be going for a visit soon and wanted to buy something else to put in there. Any info/ideas would be great.

Thanks

P.S. the tank is about 48"x12"x12" (I dont know how many gallons)

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
Danios are a good choice. And fast swimmers that can outrun him when he gets in a 'mood'. I have one in my community tank, and he has alot of fish to chase, so no one fish is unduly harrassed and everyone just ignores him.

He gets along fine with corydora, and my black ghost knife, clown pleco and pictus catfish. But doesn't like platy, or other mid-dwelling fish it seems.

Is the tank only 12 inches high? I'd keep it covered because sometimes his chases are fast and might cause a fish to jump high enough to jump out!

Last edited:

swt2th

AC Members
Feb 18, 2005
my buenos aries tetras do well with my rainbow they are fast enough to stay out of the way but scrappy enough and big enough to give it back if he gets too mean.

Red Tailed Wonder

AC Members
Feb 21, 2005
Angels are nice,Clown Loach,Bala shark,Corys,Rams,Cardinal tetrase.

It depends on what he would like to do to the tank.
Maybe some live plants.

Maj0rFiSh

L33t 5p34k m0f0!!11one
Jan 14, 2005
South Coast of UK
Flagfish said:
Angels are nice,Clown Loach,Bala shark,Corys,Rams,Cardinal tetrase.

It depends on what he would like to do to the tank.
Maybe some live plants.
Bala shark? Your having a laugh in ya :eek:

Lol, they will fight to the death, my pleco and rainbow shark are best mates :)

Maj0rFiSh

L33t 5p34k m0f0!!11one
Jan 14, 2005
South Coast of UK
Hehe :rolleyes:

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
I would vote for some sort of fast moving schooling fish, that way even if he chases them, it would be broke up among several fish. I had one that was very aggressive and he committed suicide :eek: . I was going to return him to the LFS the next day ( I had tried EVERYTHING, and this fish was a monster :mad: ). Maybe he knew :rolleyes: Or some barbs? They should be able to hold their own against him!!

However the one I have in a different tank is very peaceful, I've never even seen him acknowledge the other fish. He's a pretty good size about 3-4 inches, but I realize he's not full grown yet and that is when they supposedly get worse. Another thing that will help is several good hiding places and caves. If they can stake out their own territory, and not have to fight for it, it seems to make them a little more calm

Mexican Racoon

Se?or Member
Mar 13, 2005
Memphis, TN
my shark will sometimes chase the smaller zebra danios in my tank.

he lives in a coffee mug and when the danios start to fight amongst themselves, the chase leads to the mug, and the shark joins in.

it appears harmless, and it's a pretty funny.

so yeah, danios are fine. i wouldn't use platys, they seem to like still water where sharks definitely prefer a current.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store