setting up new 55 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CCchaos04

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
ohio
tomorrow i'm getting a new 55 gallon tank. I have two penguin 180s without biowheels (im planning on getting biowheels if i end up using these filters). I'm also considering getting a canister filter. I also plan on getting a couple of powerheads. I'm also getting about 20-30 lbs of liverock from my biology teacher. How much more liverock should i have? what kind of sand should i get? would regular playsand with a layer of argonite sand on top work? Should i just go with a canister filter instead of the penguin 180s? How long will it take the tank to cycle? Whats the best way to cycle it? do i need a protein skimmer if i have good enough filtration and surface movement?

shooby

The "MAN"
Feb 16, 2005
Sunny Cali!
ok first off dont get the biowheel back on,they are nothing but nitrate factories, second cansiter filters dont work to well. with the 2 penguins you might be ok if you get enough LR(Live Rock) Usually they say to put about 2 -3 lbs of LR per gallon so yeah more than 30lbs. Yes u can use play sand just clean it very well before. A typical cycle can take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. You could buy a skimmmer I dont use em. Yes definately get some powerheads for water movement. What kind of tank do u want FOWLR(Fish Only With Live Rock) or Reef? I believe the best cycling method is to go buy a damsel or two and let them do teh job. Other people perfer their own things. Hope this helps

CCchaos04

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
ohio
thanks. I was kind of thinking about doing a reef. I was planning on getting either chromis or damsels first. then letting my tank cycle before adding any more fish.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I would go fishless if I were you. There are lots of posts on fishless cycles. Damsels and reefs don't mix well and you'll never catch the little rats.

CCchaos04

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
ohio
i was thinking about putting a wet-dry filter on my tank. would this work well or could i get something cheaper and still be good?

CCchaos04

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
ohio
how well do skilters work? are visi-jet skimmers any good? If i decide to spend more money which im thinking im going to do what would work better a wet/dry filter or a refugium?

Last edited:

roadblock

AC Members
Jan 1, 2005
avoid the visi-jet my friend, because they are just that, visible. visi-jets go in the tank and are not very attractive. I have a seaclone 100 on my 55 and for a tank that size it works well, and is very wallet friendly. about $89 online. as far as canister filters are concerned, I have a filstar xp2 which i think does an excellent job on my 55.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store