Question about stocking level in 29g.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

theop

AC Members
Jan 24, 2005
Nashville, TN
Question about stocking level in 29g + a reef lighting question.

Hello all,

I'm two months into my first marine aquarium and loving it.
I am bascially FO right now except for a small amount of live rock. I am changing 20% of the water ever two weeks with nitates about 5.

However, I have a question about stocking level. My tank consists of:

29g tank.
40# aragonite sand
H.O.T. Magnum canister filter (250 gph + bio wheel)
Internal power-head for water circulation.
Base lace rock and 4 lbs of live rock.

I have the following critters:
Ocellaris clown
Six-line wrasse
Bicolor blenny
Cleaner shrimp
3" chocolate chip starfish
4 small blue-legged hermits

My question is how is my stocking lever? I don't want to overload but would like to get 1 more fish, probably a fire fish or a royal gramma or something similar. Thanks for the opinions!

Last edited:

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I have three fish in my 25g reef that has been going for 3+ years now - a maroon clown, a yellow damsel and a watchman goby - all is going quite well - I think one more small, peaceful fish would be ok for your set up - just keep the nitrates down. Maybe add some snails too! Also, if you want to convert to corals down the road, keep fish that are coral friendly, such as the ones you have already. If you do get corals, the chocolate chip star may be a problem. Have fun!

theop

AC Members
Jan 24, 2005
Nashville, TN
Thanks for the reply.

I would like to add some more live rock and some easier corals/mushrooms as well. Right now I only have a 20W light which I know would be inadequate.

I was thinking of ordering a new hood. I could get a 65W PC light strip which has a 50% 10000K / 50% actinic bulb in it. I could keep my current 20W on the tank too. I know that still isnt a ton of light for a 29gal, but would that be enough to grow some of the easier stuff?

Before I would go to a full blown reef tank, I would probably just get a bigger tank. Thanks again for the advice.

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
Mushroom corals and a lot of polyps would be fine with 85 watts - if you can get the 130 watt powercompact for your tank size, even better. And, of course, bigger tanks are always fun! I had freshwater for 32 years before I got brave enough for salt water and started my reef - I probably did about six months of research first. In all honesty, maintaining a reef tank has been easier than I thought it would be. Sure, there are certain parameters that you need to keep up on, but, overall, the problems I have had have been pretty minor and easily remedied.

horner420

AC Members
Feb 27, 2005
SE Pa, 19547
theop....was thinking of purchasing the h.o.t. magnum filter myself...right now i have a skilter 400 which is loud and not very fish friedly(came hame today to one of my tomatoe clowns stuck to the side. He seems to be in bad shape). Anyway how do you like it? thinking of getting it tonight on-line...thanks

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
The Chocolate chip starfish will eat every coral, mushroom, snail, clam, and a few other things you put in (seriously chocolate chip starfish are not picky about what they eat and they will eat anything they can catch), which is why thier classified as not reef safe.

theop

AC Members
Jan 24, 2005
Nashville, TN
Thanks for the advice on the starfish. I wasn't thinking of having any reef elements when I decided to buy them. I think for the time being I will put off adding any corals and just increase my live rock slowly.

Would there be much of an advantage adding more light just for the live rock?

Thanks.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store