Ghost Shrimp Eggs!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
Yes, one of my ghost shrimp is egged-up! I have it in a 1 gallon jar, since it is only one shrimp and it is only until it releases the fry. I placed some snails that are VERY small, what else do baby shrimp eat???

The ghost shrimp is very lethargic, could it be because the tank isn't heated? It's ok for it NOT to be heated seeing as they live in Alaska, but just wondering

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Crushed up flake food, fry food, crumbled egg yolk--the larvae will be free floating for several days and consuming stuff from the water column.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
The ghost shrimp we see here on the Mid-Atlantic coast are from the Gulf Coast. There are clear shrimp from several families, but around here you do not see any cold-water shrimp. Considering transport I would supect that ghosts in your area are also from the Gulf.

Kissofthegorami

Broke College Student
Feb 24, 2005
Boston,MA
Snails are good and lots of live plants, they will eat the algae and micro organisms that come in with them. There is an interesting thing about successfully raising ghost shrimp and light. You need to cover the sides of the container when the light on top isn't on, or use a container with opaque sides. I included a link that goes into more detail. Also as with all fry, a sponge filter is good. http://www.fishpondinfo.com/shrimp2.htm

tamccain

AC Members
Feb 7, 2005
if you need to keep the water warm you can suspend it within your tank. It will then keep it at the same temperature that your tank is at. I used to use this method when I was raising angelfish. Believe it or not I was suspending 10 gallon aquariums inside a 55 gallon aquarium for a short amount of time. It was interesting to say the least.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store