Flame Angels Reef Safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Satchmo

AC Members
May 28, 2001
NJ, 16E
It's touch and go. Some individuals will be fine, while others will nip at corals, clam mantles, etc. You're finding conflicting info, because that's exactly what's out there. I know a guy who all but ripped his tank apart trying to get one out after he was caught in the act. Personally, I'd steer clear of them in a reef.

cich-o

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
S.E.MI
Visit site
Right now I only have some button and star polyps and a couple of shrooms but I do plan on having some of the other easier to keep corals and inverts problem is the only fish that are really interesting to me are some of the small angels. I will only be using a 55 gallon so my fish options are limited Any recommendations?

Satchmo

AC Members
May 28, 2001
NJ, 16E
Originally posted by cich-o
problem is the only fish that are really interesting to me are some of the small angels
Huh? Take no offense, but you can't be looking that hard. There's a ton of reef-safe marine fish that are drop dead gorgeous. Can't imagine angels being the only appealing fish out there. That said, you could try a Coral Beauty. Beautiful dwarf angel with a lesser inclination to go after corals.

If it were my 55, I'd pass on an angel and stock with greater numbers of smaller fish. Have you looked into clowns, gobies, firefish, Grammas, wrasse, etc. The list goes on... there's gotta be something else that tickles your pickle.

cich-o

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
S.E.MI
Visit site
None Taken:) I have just been basing my choices on what has been available locally. I was interested i gettng a false Percula to go with whatever larger fish I decide on, and the mandarin goby was appealing. Thanks for the info I do have another couple of months before I make the final cut so perhaps I will find something appealing, hardy, and cheap! I do currently have a Yellow Tang that I got from a friend as a temporary algae control but I think it may grow on me maybe I'll just keep it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store