Glass tops and lighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ehanson555

Registered Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hi everyone. First post here to this great resource.

I am researching new lighting for my 55G All Glass acquarium. This tank has a plastic center top brace attaching the back and front. My current light setup is a DIY hood with a 110 watt (55x2) retrofit kit from AH Supply built into it.

The new lighting strip I want (http://jbjlighting.com/sys_formosa_ss_jd2.html) seems like a solid system. I really like the flip stands that can come with it. This strip also comes with a "splash gurad" that goes at the bottom of the strip to (believe it or not) "guard" against splashing that can dirty the reflectors and bulbs. Think of it as a glass covering for the strip. The

Do you think this glass cover for the lighting strip diminish the light output? Is the light output safe for the center brace (I am worried about the heat/light causing the plastic to become brittle)? Other lighting strips like this (on stands)... are you able to open the glass hinge top so you can feed your fish? Or do you go glassless?

Malachite

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
I don't have much experience but here is what i know. My 75G also has a center brace. I have a plain triple tube flourescent (3X32W). I haven't noticed any heat on the brace so I can only guess that it is not wearing it out. I know the Compact Flourescents and other light sources put off a lot more heat so they may cause issues. I think many of the CF lights that are designed for larger tanks actually don't have a bulb over the brace. Many still get hot though. Also many of the CF fixtures state that they cannot be used under a hood. The ones with the supports to lift them are nice but it also puts the heat closer to the top of the hood. That is one reason I have the plain flourescents under mine. This may not help and may not be 100% accurate. Some of the experts here can probably give more info.

EDIT: Not sure what your canopy is like I did notice this note on that link you posted.

WARNING - DO NOT PLACE INSIDE CANOPY!
Airflow restrictions may cause premature bulb, fan and ballast failure. Improper usage will void warranty.

Double EDIT: Stupid me. DIY hood not DIY canopy. Ignore my stupidity

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store