I can see through Sword leaves

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
The leaves on both sword plants (not sure of species) have what looks like surface damage that eventually makes transparent spots in the leaves. I have an ecclipse hood with the dual tubes (no sure exact wattage) over a 29g. All other plants are doing fine. I do weekly 20% water changes. I would like to avoid costly and time consuming methods as the plants, while important to the tank are not my primary interest.

My kh is 2, which I understand is low, and my ph is 7.2

I tried a DIY CO2 injector, ph dropped to 7.0 (great, apistos are the main focus of this tank so I wouldn't mind a lower ph)

Several days later, I took water sample to lfs and they said my ph was at 6.0. I tested the water with my kit when I got home and it was 7.2 again (I had unhooked injector right after taking water sample for lfs)

My questions are:
What kind of swings should I expect in ph with DIY CO2 injection and how fast do they happen. (I'm going for stability here, but if ph shifts up 1.2 points when co2 injection ceases than that is not stable)
What are my other options if diyCO2 injection is to blame for ph swings?
Am I even on the right track?

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Your first problem is your KH is too low. KH is your main stabilizing "counter factor" to pH...it keeps pH stable so to speak but you need to have enough of it, from what I've read, 3 is the magic number. Once you start injecting CO2, the pH drops (hopefully to where you want it) for a while. Then, everything in the water that is "countering" the pH gets used up and the pH drops like a rock. Using baking soda will raise the pH (if I remeber correctly), search the forum, it's certainly listed enough times.
I've never done DIY CO2 (pressurized since I have a larger tank) but you should be able to get some kind of control over the amount of CO2 going into the tank. This will allow you to control (sort of) how big the pH swings. From what I've read, most DIYers don't let the bottle fizzle out b4 switching to another bottle.
Wish I could give you more specifics, but again, never did DIY CO2. There are volumes already written if you just search the forums (search button upper right corner on the forum page). Good luck!

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
Thanks bviking. Is there anything else I could do besides CO2 injection. I will be tweeking the ph and hardness (using peat filtration) to accomodate my apistos and want to aboid any more ph altering variables if possible. Does anyone else have experience with "see through" sword leaves? Is the problem C02, macronutrient, or micronutrient related?

btw I do once a week water changes with tap water at the moment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store