Supplements for proper snail shell growth?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JustPatrick

AC Members
Mar 16, 2005
The growth of my apple snails' shells that has happened since I got them is noticibly paler than the yellow of the older parts of the shell. I suspect it's more brittle as well. Is there anything I should or could add to the water to better support the shell growth?

Here's a picture where you can see a little bit of what I'm talking about:

snailfeastsmall.jpg

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
How hard is your water? Specifically--what's your KH? Snails need calcium to form their shell. In low KH conditions, and in low pH water, you'll begin to notice etching of the shell as the water leaches calcium out of the shell--and poor color and shape in new growth. Adding some baking soda may help, or adding some crushed coral--but know that this will also impact pH so needs to be done with care and regularity to avoid yo-yo-ing values.

JustPatrick

AC Members
Mar 16, 2005
OrionGirl said:
How hard is your water? Specifically--what's your KH? Snails need calcium to form their shell. In low KH conditions, and in low pH water, you'll begin to notice etching of the shell as the water leaches calcium out of the shell--and poor color and shape in new growth. Adding some baking soda may help, or adding some crushed coral--but know that this will also impact pH so needs to be done with care and regularity to avoid yo-yo-ing values.
dGH: 11
dKH: 4
pH: 7.4-7.6

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yep--that low KH is likely the problem. pH looks good, you're probably not seeing the any etching. I think adding cuttle bone--such as is sold for birds to chew on--will also help, not sure how much it will impact the pH. You might want to consider getting a calcium supplement--they are sold for reef tanks, and you can dose just for calcium without impacting pH much.

Another option--depending on your LFS--ask if they will provide you with the empty FW snail shells. Most end up with a bunch of them, and they will help the snail with minimal impact on the water. I keep 2-3 large empty shells in my tank at work--low KH as well as low pH. The shells start thinning and falling apart within a few months, but the live snails do fairly well.

JustPatrick

AC Members
Mar 16, 2005
OrionGirl said:
Yep--that low KH is likely the problem. pH looks good, you're probably not seeing the any etching. I think adding cuttle bone--such as is sold for birds to chew on--will also help, not sure how much it will impact the pH. You might want to consider getting a calcium supplement--they are sold for reef tanks, and you can dose just for calcium without impacting pH much.

Another option--depending on your LFS--ask if they will provide you with the empty FW snail shells. Most end up with a bunch of them, and they will help the snail with minimal impact on the water. I keep 2-3 large empty shells in my tank at work--low KH as well as low pH. The shells start thinning and falling apart within a few months, but the live snails do fairly well.
Thanks.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
In the summer I collect shells on the beach and they seem to do the trick for my snails. They also don't seem to really affect my pH to any degree.

redbucket

AC Members
Dec 1, 2004
TKOS said:
In the summer I collect shells on the beach and they seem to do the trick for my snails. They also don't seem to really affect my pH to any degree.
i've read on these forums people saying shells are not safe to put in your tank... i have the same issue with my apple snail, and am planning on asking the LFS if i can have some of their old snail shells (and if not, putting in some shells from my last trip to the beach). but, i want to make sure it's really safe -- can anyone think of a reason it wouldn't be?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
My hardness is non existant in my water I use. The shells haven't made a noticable change in it either. But my snaisl get bigger now so that is fine by me.

blueturq

This hobby is addicting!
Jul 17, 2004
Canada
Visit site
By collecting these shells and putting them into your tank, don't you run the risk of putting disease or parasites into your tank?

Becuase god knows what's in the sand or in the water :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store