is my tank overstocked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

z71silverado98

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
ive been running my [55gal.] tank for 1 1/2 yrs, dont really know anyone else in my area w/ a tank besided 1 person i work w/ which has 4 balas and a raph. catfish crammed into a 10g . so compared to them and my lfs i assume my fish have plenty of room.

stock includes:

2 - 1" Albino Cory Cats
1 - 6" pleco
3 - 2" D. Gourami
4 - 1" Zebra Danio
6 - 1" Neons
4 - 2" Ghost Cats
1 - .5" Dwarf Puffer
1 - 1" Upside Down Cat
3 - .5" frogs
6 - .5" ghost shrimp

3 large ludwiga plants
1 very large bunch of anacharis
3 large water lillies
1 large amazon sword
3 large moneyworts
4 small corkscrew vall.

i would like to add several more smaller ground cover plants as well as

6 more d. Gourami
6 more zebra
8 more neon
and 2 or 4 german blue rams

whats the AC opinion?

Last edited:

benedictj

AC Members
Feb 25, 2005
I'm assuming that this is a 10g as well?

If it is, you couldn't possibly fit another thing in it, and should probably start moving stuff out ASAP.

Maj0rFiSh

L33t 5p34k m0f0!!11one
Jan 14, 2005
South Coast of UK
That would help :p

EDIT: No he cant be on about a 10gal

Maj0rFiSh

L33t 5p34k m0f0!!11one
Jan 14, 2005
South Coast of UK
55 gal, seems fair to me, your ok i think.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
It may not be overstocked, but man, you're sitting on a time bomb. That dwarf puffer is small now but when he is a little bigger he'll be a nippnig nightmare and highly intolerant of tankmates. Dwarf Puffers have been known to take on fish larger than themselves and win. The Pleco, if it is a common, will eventually outgrow that tank.

The cats are bothersome to me. When you say ghost cats, do you mean Ghost Banjo Catfish? Also, Upside down cats like schools, as would your cories. Finally, when you say frogs, what kind do you mean?

benedictj

AC Members
Feb 25, 2005
I agree with everything Harlock said, but would add...

You can rule out Rams. Once your pleco starts getting towards its 18 to 36" growth capacity, it is going to be a battle keeping the water quality at a level that Rams would be happy with. (IMO, and assuming that it is a Common Pleco).

I do think you can probably add your neons and maybe 2 to 4 Danios. Also, I would be hesitant about the gouramis, nine of them might be a bit much, maybe 2 more.

And I stronly second Harlock's thoughts on the puffer. Every account I have heard of these guys being kept successfully involves them being kept species only.

Last edited:

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
I wouldn't add any more dwarf gouramis. You may be ok with the 3 that you have, but there's no guarantee that they won't start attcking one another at some point. They can be quite territorial. I had two in a 29 gallon for almost a year with no aggression issues, then one of them snapped and started beating up on the other one relentlessy. I had to remove one of them or it would have been killed eventually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store