Frogs ... Or Toads?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
My son has been wanting a frog, or a fire bellied toad, for a couple years now. We recently broke down his fish tank and thought about maybe turning it into a frog tank.

I just don't know a darn thing about keeping them. The idea size tank, what they eat, temperature, water and all that.

Has/Does anyone kept/keep frogs/ toads?

Thanks.

;)

Lila

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
Thanks, Leopardess. I appreciate the link. I don't want to mess this up with him, it would devistate the boy.

;)

Lila

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
I had fire bellies for awhile. I liked the toads, but hated the crickets. Chirp Chirp. :mad:

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Tuolumne said:
Look into White's Treefrogs, aka Dumpy frogs. They are VERY cute, tolerate handling and will just hang out on you for the most part, plus they look like they're smiling all the time.
I'll second White's. I used to work in a Reptile/Amphibian store and the White's were awesome. I loved the guys. Other popular frogs were PacMan Frogs, but they get huge and eat anything they can get their big fat mouths on, hence the name. They eat pinky mice (baby mice) with a fervor... If you want my professional opinion White's Treefogs have more to offer than any frog or toad. If you d handle the frog, please always wash your hands before and after. Amphibians absorb chemicals through their skin much more readily than we do. Also, it's just good form to wash your hands after handling a herp. Some reptiles are carriers of salmonella.

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
slipknottin said:
I had fire bellies for awhile. I liked the toads, but hated the crickets. Chirp Chirp. :mad:
I used to have a gecko... I remember the nights those darn crickets escaped. Ugh!

This is a 29 gal tank. I'm not sure about sizing a frog for a tank.

;)

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
Tuolumne said:
Look into White's Treefrogs, aka Dumpy frogs. They are VERY cute, tolerate handling and will just hang out on you for the most part, plus they look like they're smiling all the time.
Where's Corrie??

We need to incorporate part/all of this into our test :soda:

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Lila.... if you go with the firebellies.... I believe they're gonna need more water than just a soaking dish that the others might need..... out of all the different species of frogs and toads, some of their differences are so unique.... What I did once was I took a 55 gallon aquarium, siliconed a plexiglass piece in the center to about halfway tall, half water, have terrarium. I had some fish on one side and lizards and frogs and plants on the dirt side. It was way cool and everyone loved it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store