Damsel help please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

unclefahaka

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
Sugar land, Tx
I had a domino damsel die about 2 weeks ago. Then I lost a striped damsel 2 days ago. Today my (I don't know his exact name) Orange damsel with a blue spot on the upper top of his fin, he's looking peach instead of the bright orange he use to be. I'm woried I'm going to lose him, any ideas as to what this could be?

26 gallon tank jebo.
Right now the tank specs are:
salinty 1.027
Nitrate 15
Nitrite 0
ppm 260
PH 8.3

The water looks fine. I put in a ick, parasite , and algea tabs last week. That was before the domino died. Before the domino died, he turned a brownish color and then died a few days later. I'm woried to lose another fish. The striped damsel didn't lose any color. He was live 1 hour and the next he was just..dead.. Any idea as to whats going on.

Inside the tank fish wise I have
Pink tip condi(Anemone)
1 Blue damsel
1 maroon clown
1 green chromis
1 orange damsel

Thanks a lot,

Justin

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I'm wondering if it might be the combination of all the meds/chemicals at once - your salinity is a little high, your nitrates are in an acceptable range - any other info about your set up? How long has it been running? What is it your are measuring at 260 ppm?

unclefahaka

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
Sugar land, Tx
tanks cycling prcoess was done feburary 3. I Used an instant cycler, bio spira for saltwater. I used it on feb 2nd, introduced a fish on feb 3rd.

ppm , alkalinity/buffering capacity. Thats all my strips say. I have the kits too, but I like the strips more. Anyway,

Any idea?

Justin

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
At a guess--stress from aggression and crowding. That's a ton of fish in a 26, all in the same family, and many well known for being aggressive.

unclefahaka

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
Sugar land, Tx
4 small fish which are about an inch each and 1 small pink tip is overcrowding? They seem to be good with each other. Like No problems so far. They don't attack each other or nip or anything.

I don't get how 4 can be overcrowding. its a 26 gallon, theres so much room for them.

Justin

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
With damsels, it's not size that's limiting. It's territory needs. Damsels will claim and defend a huge amount of space, and while you may not see the aggression, I sincerely doubt that it's not happening. Maroon clowns specifically are well known for being terrors. The presence of competitors for space is stressful.

unclefahaka

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
Sugar land, Tx
So if I were to buy 10 green chromis, they'd be cool? Are they just like that with other fish?

I know it seems doubtful, but I never see them be agressive towards each other. My girlfriends home all day, she never sees anything differently. The only thing that really changes it the condi, and he just deflates and reflates a lot.

Justin

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
No, 10 chromis won't do well in a small tank either. Stocking rates in SW are much, much lower than for FW.

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I have a 25g reef tank with a maroon clown, a yellow damsel and a yellow watchman goby - it's been three years and they get along fine, but I woudn't add any more. Your most aggressive damsel actually died (the domino), and I certainly wouldn't add any more fish - how is it going now? Is the orange damsel doing better?

mr.geronimo23

AC Members
Dec 23, 2004
West Palm Beach , Florida
I had a similar problem with some damsels and could never figure out what was going on , a friend of mine told me to add a air stone ( its actually a wood one) and that solved my problem. Im not saying thats your problem but never hurts to add one :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store