Fat guppy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish fillet

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
Hi everyone. I was wondering if someone could help me out with a problem I am having with one of my guppies. After my second water change (4 days ago) I gave them all some frozen bloodworms. All fish seemed to have a feast and most of their bellies were a bit swollen. This particular guppy though had a huge belly and I remember thinking to my self that I hoped it wasn't gonna burst!! All the other fish returned to normal size and shape but this guy still has a huge bulge. He has changed his behaviour too and now hangs out by himself up the back of the tank, moving as little as possible and hardly eating anything.

If I didn't know better I would think it looks pregnant, but I've done lots of research on the anatomy now and he has a gonopodium and definitely no gravid spot that I can see. He also has a huge tail like the others and was sold to me as a male.

Does anyone have any ideas what's up with the poor thing? This has gone on for a few days now and I keep thinking I'm going to find him dead soon *sigh*

Orbitorly

Out in left field...
Is this guppy colorful, if so it's a female - in fish females are the colorfulest from the males, to bad there not in real life :D

And are you totaly sure you don't see a black spot on the abdomen ? take note that you could also be overfeeding it.

But in my opinion sounds like a female that is pregnant, when they are pregant they activity is not as much before, and she goes off to a spot when she can give birth to her young.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
I don't know what is wrong with your fish but I do know you are correct.

Male guppies are more colourful than females and have larger tails.

Are the scales sticking out, that would indicate dropsy.

Last edited:

fish fillet

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
This guppy is blue/yellow in colour. It doesn't look like scales are sticking out. He is getting a small area at the top of one side that is looking silver....like he has lost colour there. Apart from that he still looks like he has swallowed a pea...lol

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
It's possible that he might have an intestinal blockage. You might want to cut back on your feeding for the next few days and see if if goes away...otherwise I'd just monitor his condition and wait for something more indicative of what might be wrong with him.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Well, I do know guppies like veggies, mine will eat my algae eater's zucchini. I have heard of people putting peas in for fish with digestive blockage. Par-boil some peas (boil a bit to soften them) and peel them (I believe). I don't know how you can get him to eat some, though - maybe hold it in front of him with some tweezers and see if he nibbles.

fish fillet

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I have just separated him from the others and will try cooking up a pea or two. And to think I thought I was going to spend the afternoon watching the mens final of the Australian Open....now I will be cooking peas to hand feed a $3.25AU fish!!! :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store