need help finding an algea eater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

acocacolagirl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2004
So I enjoyed the two mystery snails I had, and they did seem to improve the tank cleanliness, but, I don't seem to be able to keep them alive. The first one died for an unknown reason (maybe the water was too warm??) at which point the cory cats got a taste for snail. So when the second one came along, the Cories kept biting it so I am guessing it either couldn't get enough to eat or it got an infection. Now I am afraid to get another, but I am noticing lots more algae growth without them. So I was thinking maybe a pleco...?? Are there any plecos that stay small enough to live in a 10 gallon tank? (there is some kind of bristlenose in a very small tank at my local library, but I dont know if they plan to just move him along if he out grows his tank). Or maybe I should try a different type of snail. Or is there a smaller type of fish that will help out on the sides of the tank??
Any ideas?

Thanks.

maverick2402

AC Members
Feb 19, 2005
Deptford,NJ
You could try an otto ,which is a small algae eater or a Siamese algae eater ,but be careful the can get somewhat large .I have a pleco in a 75 gal. tank.When I got him about a year ago he was about 3" long ,he is close to 10" long now so they will get big fast.

ChileRelleno

500+ jumps-n-counting,SKYDIVE!
Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
The only algae eater I would recommend for a 10 gal would be the Otocinclus Cat. The Oto is arguably the best or one the top three algae eaters to be had, likes to be kept in a school of atleast 5+ fish, requires a mature tank with excellent water parameters and is small and totally docile.
However there are some important things to consider with this and any other algae eater, what kind of algae do you have, not all fish eat all algae or the smae types of algae, the fact that a 10 gal tank unless kept understocked with algae eaters and overstocked with algae will soon run out of algae for the algae eater, and what type of food supplements will you have available and be willing to feed.
You can propagate algae for fishfood, simply setup another 5-10 gal tank, no need to filter but I would add heater, add whatever rocks/wood etc you want to grow the algae on and sit the tank in a sunny window.

carttman

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Louisiana
Visit site
I totally agree with what ChileRelleno had to say about the Otos. I used to have a real problem with brown algae until I got my Otos. They are so good at cleaning my tank that I don't even have to scrape the sides of my tank when I do cleanings.

acocacolagirl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2004
I like the idea of the Oto, I just don't think I have room for another school of 5 fish. But when I get a bigger tank, I'll get some.

Thanks.

ChileRelleno

Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
Not to worry Acocacolagirl,
the biomass of 5-6 Oto's would be negligible when compared to that of any of the smaller Plecos. IMHO there is no other choice, these little guys are your best bet ;)
One thing I will repeat,they are very temperamental about new tanks/water and even highly experienced fish keepers plan on losing atleast 25% of newly introduced Oto's, but once they are set in their new home they do very well.
A live plant or two will make'em even happier.

acocacolagirl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2004
Well, that sounds very intersting. Do you think it would bother them that I have a tall octogon tank so most of my surface space is vertical and they would have to share the horizontal surface space with 2 cories? Brown algea is my problem, and it sounds like that is what they like.

ChileRelleno

Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
They will be just fine, they are not strictly a bottom dweller, they will be lower and mid levels primarily but if there is some tasty food up topside they'll be there. And yes, they love Brown Algae!
I'd make sure your water parameters are real good, do a good gravel vacumning/filter cleaning/PWC, and feed your other fish half rations for a few days before getting them so you don't have to disturb'em while they settle in.
I would get atleast ten (10) of'em to start with, you'll likely lose 2-4 of'em...
it sucks but this is just about a given with these little guys :(

Last edited:

acocacolagirl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2004
Thanks for all of the advice!

jparnell

AC Members
Aug 29, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
or try some shrimp

Yamato shrimp (amano shrimp I think they're sometimes called as well) do a great job on algae as well. And they're fun to watch. I find that my otos in my 10g are very reclusive... they hide in a cave all day, and I think they come out at night (the algae wafers get eaten, anyway), but there are two that I haven't actually seen in a long time. The shrimp, however, are always out and about having a grand old time. So it's worth considering. I'm not sure, but I think they eat different kinds of algae too - otos won't eat all kinds, neither will shrimp, but shrimp are more likely to clean off the plants, otos more likely to clean off the glass. Perhaps a combination?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store