Anybody use a Rena Canister filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

UDdiver81

AC Members
Mar 16, 2005
Ohio
I am really interested in getting a Rena XP2 or XP3 canister filter and was wondering what people thought about them. Easy to deal with? Quiet? I have a wet/dry on my 55 amazon tank and LOVE it but was thinking a canister would be nice for the 75g saltwater I'm planning on setting up. Any thoughts on the idea?

Gunnie

Newbie forever
Jun 8, 2003
Tallahassee, FL
www.egunsellers.com
I have an XP2 and XP3 running on my 100 gal. tank containing 2 oscars, 2 jack dempseys and a large pleco. I love them! They are easy to clean, mine are virtually silent, and I only have to clean them every month or 2. I think they are a very good filter and very reasonably priced compared to other filters in their gph class. I think you will be very happy with one! :dance

joedirt

Registered Member
Mar 17, 2005
I have a XP3 running on my 60 reef tank. It has been up for about 3 weeks. So far I am very pleased with it. It was noisy at first but quieted down after about a week. Easy to clean and maintain.

Jay

AC Members
Feb 16, 2004
Eastern Shore Md
Visit site
I have an xp3 on my 75 planted tank. Mostly for bio and some mechanical filtration. I like it. Easy to clean and quiet. Caution! It is a little heavy to lift out of the back corner when you want to clean it..lol!

theop

AC Members
Jan 24, 2005
Nashville, TN
I have had my xp3 up for about 2 years now on a 55gal fresh water tank and have really been happy with it.

The nice features are that they are easy to maintain (top motor attachment has four latches), relatively quiet, and it has a cutoff value when you remove the hoses, as well as three quite large media chambers. so that you can separate them. The return unit has a spray bar and air intake valve.

Rsquared333

AC Members
Aug 4, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
XP3 very quiet and great for FW (used on a 55), but I would go with a live rock/protien skimmer/sump(fuge) filtration for SW. Canister filter lead to a build up of nitrates in the long run. You can do it, it just requires more maintanence.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store