Zebra Danio Murder Mystery...the suspects are...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Frank_Carr

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Atlanta, GA, USA
Visit site
One of our Zebra Danios turned up this morning with most of his tail missing. I isolated him in another tank, but he died by mid-afternoon. The question is, who killed him. Here are his tankmates (in a 20 gallon with good tank chemistry)...

* 1 Zebra Danio. The companion of the dead one. They've been in the tank from the start and weathered the initial cycle together.

* 3-4" common Pleco. He's been in the tank along with the zebras since it was established. He has never shown aggression toward any other fish and is quite shy.

* 2 glass catfish. They've also been in the tank from almost the start (added after the tank cycled).

* 2 albino cories. Added at the same time as the glass catfish.

* 7 cardinal tetras. Added this week (I asked for 6 but got a bakers half-dozen).

* Many Small pond snails. They're snagged regularly and fed to goldfish or a puffer in other tanks before they get too big.

So, could the introduction of the cardinals cause the other zebra or one of the other fish to turn on the now dead fish?

My prime suspect is the other zebra since they're prone to fin nipping and dominance related intra-species aggression. Perhaps the introduction of the cardinals caused them to feel threatened and attack. I've moved him out of this tank and into another with larger, though not aggressive, fish to either protect him or to prevent him from harming any other fish.

Who would you suspect and why?

greeneyedlady

Duchess of Comedy
Jul 4, 2002
MD, USA
tetras, just cause cardinal equates with red and red equals aggression/jk:D

but seriously the butler did it:p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store