Polished River rocks aquarium Safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sivic

rum's my friend
Aug 6, 2004
Cincinnati Ohio
sivic.has-my.info
Was at the dollar store with my girlfriend and saw some black polished river rocks. This would make a very nice addition to my aquarium but they do not say anything about aquarium use on the bag. Ive done alittle research about picking out aquarium safe rocks and majority of the posts say to use vineger to drop on the rock and see if it will foam or fizz. I just dont want to assume since it says polished river rocks that there hasnt been anything added in them.

flyfly

follow me on twitter @flyfly_mackay
Jan 21, 2005
Portland, OR
www.myspace.com
I have kept polished river rocks in my setup at one time and they worked out fine for decoration. If you are using it for substrate, however, they should be more like tiny polished river pebbles.

msp75

AC Members
Jan 18, 2005
I have some that I bought at Home Depot that have been in my tank for a year with no problems, and I know my mom has had some in her tank for several years. Mine didn't say anything about being aquarium-safe, either.

I don't use them as substrate, though, just a few pretty ones scattered on top of regular medium-size aquarium gravel.

dimsem

Getting Feet Wet
Dec 25, 2004
Norfolk VA
Lost Cory---Low pH?

Sorry... I meant to start a new thread and posted in this one by mistake. :OT:

Last edited:

jonathan03

AC Members
Feb 12, 2005
Its more than likely they are safe. I remeber seeing them for sale at the lfs. If your still worried, soak them for a few days and rise them off good.

ghotiguy

Registered Member
Dec 13, 2009
polished river rocks

just be careful when buying from the dollar store i did this once and the rocks were painted black and the paint flaked off inside my tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store