The Goldfish Bowl

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Maj0rFiSh

L33t 5p34k m0f0!!11one
Jan 14, 2005
South Coast of UK
Decoration and Torture instrument

You find them more and more in restaurants and shops, in different shapes and sizes: a Fish bowl with one or more goldfish in it. You will also find half-fishtanks that are hung up on the wall by their flat side. In a restaurant at an exhibition in IJmuiden they placed a simple glassbowl with two goldfish on every table. Some visitors threw their cigarette ends and leftover beer in it. Every morning the dead fish were replaced by new ones. Goldfish as decoration is apparently in. The animals are rarely seen or treated as living creatures even though it is known that goldfish are very sensitive animals. If treated well goldfish can reach the age of 20 to 40 years. In their narrow goldfish bowls they barely last a few days or weeks. More than a thousand years ago the Chinese started to breed goldfish from silver carp. Initially they were kept in ponds but later on they were also kept in big pottery bowls. Through the centuries goldfish have been bred in numerous different ways, all over the world and became more and more popular. Every year one hundred million Goldfish are bred throughout the world, between 5 and 10 million are sold in Holland alone. We can conclude that in general these animals are fated to live a short life.

Why the goldfishbowl is bad

Many of the goldfish will end up in a goldfishbowl. People unfortunately don't realize that this is an instrument of torture for the fish. What makes it so bad? First of all the goldfish bowl is of course much too small. The bowl usually contains only a few litres of water. If they are lucky and get a big fishbowl it contains 10 to 15 litres of water. That's far too little for a goldfish who needs at least 250 litres. The small amount of water in a fishbowl not only gets dirty very quickly, but can also become too warm very fast. Due to the shape of the bowl the contact area of the water with the air is so small that there is a constant lack of oxygen. The living environment of the fishbowl offers the goldfish no interests or variety. They can't take their bearings, conceal themselves, keep their distance from other fish and search for food. The bowl also barely offers any room to move. Fish, Goldfish as well, are built to swim considerable distances. In a bowl they can just swim in circles. According to the opinion of the experts the goldfishbowl is absolutely unsuitable for keeping fish. The biologist and head of the Wilhelma Aquarium in Stuttgart, Dr Dieter Jauch, writes in his book about the care of goldfish, Goldfish in aquariums and gardenponds; 'who ever puts goldfish in this sort of prison is committing animal abuse'.

Still want that all great biorb you were thinkin of getting?

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
=Maj0rFiSh In a restaurant at an exhibition in IJmuiden they placed a simple glassbowl with two goldfish on every table. Some visitors threw their cigarette ends and leftover beer in it. Every morning the dead fish were replaced by new ones. Goldfish as decoration is apparently in.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad2 OMG!!!

The things they do with the bettas in the bottom of the flower vases around here is likewise apalling.

There is a Chinese restaurant in th area that has 3 HUGE carp in a 55 gal. the poor things can hardly turn around to swim back and forth. Ugh! I'm never going back! Skanky looking tank too...I don't know how the poor things are alive. :mad: :mad2

Maj0rFiSh

L33t 5p34k m0f0!!11one
Jan 14, 2005
South Coast of UK
Raskolnikov said:
Yes, it's a sad situation.

However, it's rather poor form to post an article or large part of an article without crediting the original source.
But i didnt credit this to be my article? :mad2

Maj0rFiSh

L33t 5p34k m0f0!!11one
Jan 14, 2005
South Coast of UK
My names Dave, not sparky, i put that there cause someone i know was keeping common plecos in a bloody vase, i just wanted to show why bowls suck.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The point is that if you quote a piece written by someone else, provide references so that others can get credit for their work.

No offence was intended by any of the posters, so everyone just take a deep breath and calm down.

Maj0rFiSh

L33t 5p34k m0f0!!11one
Jan 14, 2005
South Coast of UK
Whatever, i never said it was my work and i never intended to get people to think it was mine, im sorry if i have to write where it comes from or ask the person or website for permission, i cant be bothered with that, i just wanted to shows some facts on why bowls arent a good option ok?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store