Bio media for Aquaclear 300

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
Hey all! I recently bought an AQ 300 to accompany my Magnum HOT. I stuff the media area with filter floss and the filter sleeve off of the media canister for the Magnum. I am wnodering, what would be the best media to use??? And where can I get it??? What I have in there now won't allow me to turn the AQ on full w/o overflowing. Any suggestions??? I have the same problem with the whisper 40 too. Thanks!!

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
When you buy it, it should come with carbon case and sponge... that works good in my tanks. ;)

Elmo

AC Members
Dec 8, 2001
London, Ontario
When I used Aquaclears I just put two of the sponges in.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
I also use the 2 sponges, except that I bought some filter fiber pads that are about 1/8" thick just to catch some of the fine debris. When I do a water change every week I rinse the sponges and pad in the old tank water and put them back.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I am running 1 ACs ranging from minis to a 300. I load them all a bit differently depending on need. For those I run mainly for mechanical or chemical filtration, I cut a single sponge in 1/2 or 1/3s. For mech I wedge floss between the pieces, for chemical I use a bag with needed media placed between the cut sponges. One advantage to cut sponges is they provide a great way to jump start the cycle in a new tank. You can remove 1/2 (1/3) and replace it and then use cycled piece in the new filter.

My basic all around load is an AC sponge, a bit of floss and a cellpore cartridge. Yes they will clog, but when this happens is pushed out if you clean the cellpore when you clean the filter. Simply grab if firmly by the edgeds and swish it back and forth rapidly in a bucket of tank water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store