Green Terror growth rate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

twb716

Infamous Butcher, Angel of Death
Sep 19, 2004
I have had my GT for about 6 months. It lives in a 75g with my 4 month Oscar, and I am concerned with the size of my GT. They are currently on a mixed food diet which consists of:

Hikari pellets,
earthworms,
flakes,
some jumbo shrimp

My concern is that even though I have had my GT for two months longer than my Oscar that my Oscar is now about 1 inch bigger than my GT. The GT is eating well, as is Oscar (of course), and is very lively, just not so big as the Oscar. When I got the Oscar, it was about 0.5 inches smaller than my GT, but now the tables have turned. How fast do you think Green Terrors should grow on this type of diet? I have had Oscars in the past, so I know that they grow very rapidly, and this being my first GT, I thought they would grow at the same rate...guess I was wrong. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TB

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
I've had my GT's for about 6 months now and they haven't grown much either. However, the female has already had two batches of babies. I feed them pretty much the same as you, as well as live feeders every once in a while. I wouldn't worry about the size. Once they start growing, the spurt will be pretty fast.

twb716

Sep 19, 2004
Thanks. :dance

jonathan03

AC Members
Feb 12, 2005
The green terrors grow smaller than the oscar. I would only be concerned about the size when the green terror can fit in the oscars mouth. I have seen large convicts kept with full gorwn oscars at the lfs. You should be fine. I think green terrors get to be 8-10". They are just a hair smaller than the common large cichlids.

twb716

Sep 19, 2004
Thanks. Wasn't so worried about Oscar eating Green Terror, was more curious about the growth rate in general. Thanks to all.

TB

bowes813

Tank Info
Mar 26, 2005
Grow Fast!!!

My pair of GT grew really fast. I never kept them on a live food diet. Just the color formula cichlid food from petsmart. But on that they went from being 2 inches to about 6 inches in about 5 months. The currently are on their 2nd batch of babies. My darn jewel cichlid babies ate the first batch. The mom GT got the last laugh though when i found one of the jewel's tails hanging out of her mouth. Oscars just grow really fast though. Nothing to worry about. GT can handle themselves too if need be.

aquaman555

Registered Member
Apr 5, 2005
I have a green terror in my tank also. It is a male and it eats very well. I know males get humps on their heads as they mature. How long does this take?

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
I've only had my GT for about 2 months, and it has put on an inch or two.

I would take the flake food out of their diet though, and substitute freeze dried tubifex worms, and add frozen bloodworms. That might give you better growth rates. My fish also get half a hot dog every other week.

HTH,
Serg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store