get rid of the sump and use just the CPR Dual Pak

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dannieboiz

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
I just picked up a CPR Bak Pak Dual Pak which is a skimmer a well as a bio filter. I have a 50g tank currently have 40 or 50lbs of what used to be live rocks in my old tank. I just ordered another 35lbs of fuji live rocks to bring the dead rocks back to live. Can I get rid of the big sump on the bottop and use just the dual pak after everything stable out and use just the live rocks as my filtration? Beside the 80 or so lbs of live rocks in there I also have 50lbs of live sands,

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Comparing apples to oranges. Sumps help by providing additional water volume, providing a location for equipment, and potential for additional biological filtration. Skimmers and whatever other filtration is in the Bak Pak may meet some of those needs, but won't be equivalent--ie, one does not replace the other. If you want to pull of the sump, you can, they are not required.

Wolf Sea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
That works. But you'll have less water volume which equals more margin for error.

If you keep corals and inverts you might just want to remove the bio-bale as it will help raise your Nitrates.

dannieboiz

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
reason I asked is because I'm gonna setup 55 - 75 gallon in the living room and I think the Del Rey is an over kill for this 50 gallon. I have a 10gallon Gulf stream that I can probably use if I can figure out how to put it back together since there are broken tabs and stuff. I'm sure a little silicone and a few pcs of acrylic will bring it back to live. It's been only 3 or 4 days since I put my demsels and the snow flake eel in. I introduced a 5th demsel and some turbo snail in 2 days ago. I'll test the water tonight to see how it goes. But all the fishies in there seems jolly so far.

Wolf Sea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
Having all those Damsel's in 1 tank should be ---Um interesting. I'm thinking it'll be like the Gladiators in Rome. They were interesting too.

dannieboiz

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Wolf Sea said:
Having all those Damsel's in 1 tank should be ---Um interesting. I'm thinking it'll be like the Gladiators in Rome. They were interesting too.
what are you a jynx? lolz man I work up this morning and found one of my demsel all torn up in the tail end. He's still alive but just wiggling around not really swimming. Looks like he's just gasping for air. They were fine until I introduced the 5th one in so now 4 seems to gang up on that 1. I notice the snow flake also picked on the damsels too.

thegreatpablo

AC Members
Mar 12, 2005
You may want to consider one of two things, taking some of the damsels back=less risky. Introducing more damsels into the tank so they can't establish territories=more risky.

dannieboiz

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
I think I'll end up with only 4 damsel today, I have a feeling the injured one is either dying or probably dead by now. I'll be home in a few hours, well see what happen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store