tankmates with bala shark

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

raseii

AC Members
Mar 13, 2005
Hi,
Right now we have a 55 gallon tank that we are cycling at the moment. My husband is determined to get a few Bala Sharks. We know at adult size this is not a suitable tank for them and he plans on getting a much larger tank at the end of the year which will be over 100 gallons. So, for the time being, what sort of tank mates can we put in with the bala sharks. He likes the tropical semi aggressive ones. He does not like my tank with the community fish in it, he says you cant see the fish unless you get up close to it :) So what kind of tank mates are compatible with the bala sharks?
Thanks agian

Nexus

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
Main thing I would suggest against are other agressive sharks, rainbows, red tail black, ours red tail balck shark I think pretty much harrased our bala to death.

Our new bala is still pretty young and actually likes playing with the tiger barbs, maybe he thinks he is one.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Are there specific fish that he likes? Maybe if you could let us know that might make it easier. I have 3 balas, and they are very skittish, and I don't know how mine would feel about being harrassed

HeinekenMike

AC Members
Mar 14, 2005
Portland, OR
I have had 3 for a couple days now, thay get along well with the slower moving clown loaches and are skidish, thay are not aggresive at all from what i can see. I would say get atleast 3 as thay enjoy schooling together, but I have herd thay do get very big (just like clown loaches) and ina couple years may need a bigger tank, the bigger ones sale for a lot where I live though.

shadrac

shadrac
Feb 4, 2005
i have a balla shark in a tank with gouramis and he seem to do fine i also have one in a tank with many semi agressive fish and none of the fish even really notice he is there.
hes in with a juripari, gold sevrum, lepord cetopoma, and butterfly fish
and all those fish love to eat other fish

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I have my balas with tin foil barbs, misc. smaller barbs, clown loaches, gouramis, rainbow fiish...they all have fun and get along great!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store