Advice to those about to do sand..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sivic

rum's my friend
Aug 6, 2004
Cincinnati Ohio
sivic.has-my.info
Ive heard alot of people talk about intital cloudiness when adding sand. Well i have just started a new tank with sand and want to share my experiences for some quick advice.

Make sure you throughly wash the sand out in a bucket, dont be scared to loose alittle of the sand. I lost some but not very much. Keep churning the sand and letting the unsettled sand spill out the top of the bucket.
*NOTE* Wash medium size amounts, Although you can do it all it makes it easier only doing partial amounts.

After that place the sand in a empty tank. And place a gaint ziplock bag on top of the sand and fill the water up on top of the baggie. This prevents the water from stirring up the sand. This was the biggest thing to keep the cloudiness down aside from a good washing. Fill up tank part way and do your planting and decorations then continue to pour the water in on top of the bag.

I had absoultey no cloudiness in my water after filling it up, was quite suprised espically after seeing some other tanks with the same sand very cloudy. So anybody about to do sand might find out to be helpful or might not.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The same method will work with unrinsed sand, as well. I prefer not to rinse--you lose the fines that are so beneficial for bacterial colonization.

sivic

rum's my friend
Aug 6, 2004
Cincinnati Ohio
sivic.has-my.info
OrionGirl said:
The same method will work with unrinsed sand, as well. I prefer not to rinse--you lose the fines that are so beneficial for bacterial colonization.
Never thought about that but how beneficial can they really be if thicker gravel doesnt have a fine material for bacterial colonization?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It's a matter of surface area. Smaller particles have more surface area than an equivalent volume of larger particles. Basically--a pound of sand gives more surface area to be colonized than a pound of gravel. Gravel will provide enough space to support a colony sufficient for most bio-loads, since the room available doesn't equal the colony (that's related to food).

Beagles

Little Cheese
Mar 11, 2005
Sunny Tampa Bay area
OrionGirl said:
What kind of sand do you recommend? Play sand or pool filter sand or???

I've been thinking of setting up a 55g with some sand & some gravel.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I've used play sand, landscaping sand, and medium grain 'concrete' sand (not concrete, just sand that is sold if you're mixing your own concrete) without any problems. I like the landscaping sand best for high pH setups--the stuff I used contains aragonite so helps buffer the water. For my planted tanks, silica play sand has worked very well.

Were you going to layer the sand and gravel? Will the tank be planted?

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
I like Pool Filter Sand, myself. I also rinse the crud out of mine. The loss of fines doesn't bother me one bit since I use two filters and have seeded media ready to go at a moment's notice. You can see how the sand looks in the link in my sig.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store