Cherry Shrimp Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
Dallas, Texas
Hello, I recently saw some Cherry Shrimp online and thought they would make a neat addition to my tank. I'm still new to aquariums in general, and have no experience whatsoever with anything other than fish. I have a 55 gallon tank that cycled about 6 weeks ago. I have 5 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Pakistani(yo-yo) Loaches, and a pair of Snails. Over the next few months I'd like to add 3 Angelfish and a pair of Dwarf Gourami. Long term (depending on how big everyone else gets) I may also add a few Mollys. I have live plants and a medium sized gravel/flourite strata. My pH is 7.8. Would Cherry Shrimp fit well with my tank? If so what would be a good number of them to add? How do shrimp compare to fish as far as their contirbutions to Ammonia, waste, general messiness? In other words is there a formula for X number of shrimp equals Y number/size of fish for determining the best poplutation for a tank? Thank you!

jonathan03

AC Members
Feb 12, 2005
I'm not so sure these shrimp would be the best for you right away. I have heard that they are sensitive to the water so you will need to keep the big three in control. I wouldn't be worried about the shrimp generating wastes, but the wastes killing the shrimp.

They really prefer a palnted tank and like to eat the algae off plants.

Start playing the bag pipes if you put an anglefish in with these shrimp. I've heard that they will kill the shrimp. The gourami might be agressive to these shrimp as well. These shrimp are usually less than an inch.

These shrimp are kind of expensive and you should really have a firm grasp of keeping the water clean before you get them. They need a little bit of algae in the tank to eat also. You should get a little more as your tank gets older.

You can add as many shrimp as you want withing reason. Up to 50 would be ok if you wanted. I would start with 10-15 though. They breed easily but only in a species only tank. The fish (no matter how small) will eat the new born shrimp.

twb716

Infamous Butcher, Angel of Death
Sep 19, 2004
Any shrimp (cherry, ghost, etc.) are like fat, juicy lobster to ANY cichlid. Wouldn't recommend them in a tank with Angels. Sorry, I know they are really cool.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Loaches and gourami's would eat them as well I'm sure. The major downside to cherries is that they are a very small shrimp (Pun intended) and everything that swims as well as most of us who don't just love to eat shrimp.
Dave

greenday04

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
Concord, CA
Sorry don't know much about the shrimp but angels and gourami's together? Sound scary to me. I have two dwarf gourami where one beat up the other so bad that he poked the other one's eye out and now they are separated. They say some are calm and some are not. One of mine is calm and the other is a butt. Also I think that they would nip the angels too.

Just my experience and opinion.
Happy Fishes!!!!

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
Dallas, Texas
greenday04 said:
Sorry don't know much about the shrimp but angels and gourami's together? Sound scary to me. I have two dwarf gourami where one beat up the other so bad that he poked the other one's eye out and now they are separated. They say some are calm and some are not. One of mine is calm and the other is a butt. Also I think that they would nip the angels too.

Just my experience and opinion.
Happy Fishes!!!!
Oh dear. I hadn't seen anything that indicated these fishies would have problems with each other. Can anyone else confirm/deny that angels and dwarf gourami would be a bad mix? The angels are a must, but I can find something else instead of the gouramis. It also sounds like the shrimp wouldn't even make it to the bottom of my tank so they are right out! I'm planning on a smaller planted tank (5-8 gallon) for a betta, would a few Cherries work in there? Thank you!

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
Dallas, Texas
Bumpity- ;)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Angels and gouramies will tend to fight. They both prefer the same zone of the tank, so compete.

The shrimp should be fine with a betta. The betta might investigate them at first, but then will likely ignore them completely.

Veneer

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
OrionGirl said:
Angels and gouramies will tend to fight. They both prefer the same zone of the tank, so compete.

The shrimp should be fine with a betta. The betta might investigate them at first, but then will likely ignore them completely.
Not necessarily - some bettas have been known to consume 1.5-inch ghost shrimp (Palaemonetes sp.); success with such combinations is contingent on the particular temperament of one's specimen.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Interesting! I've never had a betta that did more than chase the shrimp around a bit. Good to know though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store