no mouth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

friendorfoe

AC Members
Mar 7, 2005
New York
My luck has not been good with mollies! I had one die, cause unknown. Another has gray patches on her side. And now i am noticing another seems to be missing her top lip and not swimming around much. The dead one died a pretty long time ago. The grey patched one has been qt-ed for 2-3 weeks. What should i do about the newest case? What is wrong with this fish? should I qt it? Could there be another reason why this fish is acting sluiggish?

Ammonia-.25
Nitrate-20-40
nitrite-0

Please help

SCU33ZE

Toilet Power
Mar 23, 2005
South Miami
lol no upper lip oooh boy your fish must be having wet t shirt contests haha no am j/k i dunno here grey patch,,,,,,levels,,,,cant be ich grey?
ME CONFUSED ME DONT NOT make sense here

frankly i dont know what going on here thats strange ,,i use to have mollies in an uncontrolled parameter plastic bowl and they lived fine for like 1 yr

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Tank mates? Also, are you sure about the ammonia? A cycled tank, especially one that has had fish removed rfom it, should not be showing any ammonia.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
SCU33ZE said:
lol no upper lip oooh boy your fish must be having wet t shirt contests haha no am j/k i dunno here grey patch,,,,,,levels,,,,cant be ich grey?
ME CONFUSED ME DONT NOT make sense here

frankly i dont know what going on here thats strange ,,i use to have mollies in an uncontrolled parameter plastic bowl and they lived fine for like 1 yr
Not to be rude, but if you can't contribute, don't waste her time posting and cracking jokes. Also, mollies living one year is shameful. Why brag about killing fish by keeping them in a crappy environment? That's a rhetorical question, don't bother answering.

friendorfoe

AC Members
Mar 7, 2005
New York
Tank mates include 1 swordtail one other molly and 4 cories. The tank is not completely cycled....but i got my fish before know about this website and about the chemistry behind good fish keeping. I do two daily 40% water changes though so that my levels do not get too high.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Okay. Well at this point all I can figure is a tussle with another fish. It will be hard medicating or doing anything else during the cycle. Cycles always stress fish and so do meds. Also, some antibacterials can kill your beneficial bacteria. At this point, I would try Melafix (never thought I'd hear myself recommend it). It's a homeopathic medication, but many people swear by it. It is supposed to aid in healing and "soothe" fish. At this point, I don;t think you have anything to lose.

friendorfoe

AC Members
Mar 7, 2005
New York
I just read a little on melafix and it says

"Melafix (1% concentration) by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals is labeled as an all natural botanical antibacterial remedy made from tea tree extract. It contains melaleuca.

Heals open wounds and ulcers

Rapidly restores damaged fins

Stops mouth fungus (Flavobacterium, formerly a.k.a. Flexibacter)

Treats fin and tail rot

Treats eye cloud

Does not affect pH

Safe for snails and other invertebrates in fresh and salt water

Safe for live aquarium plants

Will not harm the biological filter

The correct doseage for Melafix as a disease or wound treatment, or when adding new fish to the aquarium, or as a preventative after netting and handling fish, is 1 teaspoon for every 10 gallons. Repeat dose daily for 7 days. After 7 days, make a 25% water change. Treatment can be continued longer if necessary."

In this it says to only do a water change on day 7 but my tank cannot go that long with out a change, because it is cycleing. Any ideas on how to handle this?

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Yip, just add it with every change. It's not likely to be cheap, but I know some people swear by it and it's ability to help fish heal from wounds and fin damage.

friendorfoe

AC Members
Mar 7, 2005
New York
Actually i just price checked on big als and it doesn't seem too bad. 5 bucks for an 8 ounce. I hope to give it a try! But i have one more question first. Is it safe to use in my aquarium? Even if my other fish are not infected?

chrisinha

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
brooklyn, ny
i've used melafix many times for injuries and fin rot and it really helped. i always have a bottle at home. my first tank was also cycled with fish (i had no idea that a tank needed to be cycled at that time) and i used melafix during the cycling. just as harlock said, put the medicine back every time you do a water change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store